LIGHTED TILTMETER FOR NIGHT USE???

/ LIGHTED TILTMETER FOR NIGHT USE??? #11  
Rick,
Moisture could be a problem out in the elements. Don't know how it may affect it. Seems if it was in a sealed case/unit, it may not affect it much.

/ LIGHTED TILTMETER FOR NIGHT USE??? #12  
Rick I purchased and mounted one of your standard Tip-O-Meters on my TC-40D in the last month and I think it is a very worthwhile instrument.

However I don't see any real reason why I would be out mowing the back section of my dam in the dead of night where I might need a lighted version. I'm a hard worker but NOT that hard. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ LIGHTED TILTMETER FOR NIGHT USE??? #13  
I can almost agree with you that I might not be out at night, but from past experience, I know that there have been times that I do have to take the tractor out at night.
The one thing that people here are not realizing is that the tilt meter is used on a lot of things other than tractors. We are the sounding board for improvements, however the tilt meter might be installed in a motor home, travel trailer, plow truck, etc. which are routinely in service in the dark hours of the night. I believe that this is the true reason to have a tilt meter that is illuminated. I can see many instances where this would be a benefit......

/ LIGHTED TILTMETER FOR NIGHT USE??? #14  
Junkman where would you be driving a motor home, travel trailer, plow truck, etc. in the middle of the night that you would possibly need to know that you might be unstable and at risk of turning on your side at over a 15 degree list? I really want to go to that party myself. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

/ LIGHTED TILTMETER FOR NIGHT USE??? #15  
people are often arriving at camping sites late at night and the meter would be helpful in setting up the motor home, trailer, etc. so it would be level.... I was not thinking of the extreme in the other direction. Now about that party.... are you bringing the beer???????

/ LIGHTED TILTMETER FOR NIGHT USE??? #16  
OK I see where you are coming from now with the camper set up. Yep, the beers on me! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ LIGHTED TILTMETER FOR NIGHT USE??? #17  
Another option might be a bolt on. A couple LED's to light the meter from the front top, bottom or sides. Have a cover that goes over the meter and covers the edge, or a strip. This would hide the LED and with a ledge and light the meter.
This could be a permanent molded in change as well, moldin a ledge and place for the LED's.

Using the tube method can you get LED's that are bright enough to light the numbers? Maybe add a reflective strip behind the tube?

Another option may be to light the tube but change the tube mount. A ledge along the bottom, or just up from the bottom, of the tube that will reflect the light down from the tube to the numbers. Obviously there would have to be a small space between the ledge and bottom of the meter to let the light thru to the numbers.

What about adding LED's that light up when you get to 10, 15, 20 degrees? Different colors of course.

A backlit LCD tilt meter would be pretty cool.

I'm just chock full of ideas on how to spend your R&D money /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ LIGHTED TILTMETER FOR NIGHT USE???
CTyler, and All,
I was trying to light this puppy fairly inexpensively. I suppose
alot of things would work. Most would require a new mold.
Molds average $9000.00 ea. The l.e.ds and iluminescent
paint, so far seems the least expensive, but well working
solution. (still looking though). You guys would have to buy
ALOT of meters for me to be able to pay for the 9 grand
mold. Also, looking for the most rugged design. I hear SOME
TBN guys could destroy a wrecking ball with a toothpick (and
their tractor). Say it ain't so!!! I once tore a barn down with
an 18 H.P. Kubota, and a long cable. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Seriously, the l.e.ds are hard to destroy, and my testing on
the iluminescent paint has been very positive. I tested 4 kinds
and only one glowed brightly, and it actually lasted about 8
hrs. This helps keep cost down also. Thanks Guys. Rick /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ LIGHTED TILTMETER FOR NIGHT USE??? #19  
Well, better late than never?

I owe Rick at R&B Manufacturing an apology as I offered to review his lighted tilt meter many moons ago and got wrapped up in my personal duties. Please accept my apologies, Rick.

Anyway, I had a chance to put the meter on my BX2660 a few weeks ago. I have to say that in comparison to my last unlighted tilt meter on my old B7510, I find the lighted tilt meter a real neat (and better) addition. I, for one, like gadgets, and this one begs for attention from anyone taking a closer look at my BX. Although I haven稚 had a lot of night loader time, that痴 about to change with the winter snows coming. I also find that I now try to schedule some seat time after sunset just to check out the meter. I know it痴 crazy, but hey I like these gadgets. I値l update my review as I have more time to use the meter (in the dark).

This is not my first meter from Rick. After watching this board, I took several recommendations and installed one on my late B7500, and then moved it to my B7510. I have to say that a few times in the evening while working the loader on my past tractor, I did find that I glanced at my unlighted meter, but never really thought about what a lighted meter would be like, or even if I needed to find a way to improvise. It just wasn稚 on my radar screen. Well, if I bought a new one tomorrow and had the option, a lighted meter would be my choice.

This lighted meter is slightly larger than I thought I would have normally preferred, but I always considered the size of a meter with daytime use in mind. I had issues with smaller meters reading correctly a few years ago, and Rick was kind enough to upgrade me to a slightly larger meter back then. It could have been the bumpy terrain, or something I was doing, but in any case my problem went away with the larger meter. So, when I opened up the box to this lighted meter and saw that it was closer to the size of the last one on my later B7510, I gave no second thought to its size.

At night, the increase size makes it more legible when the backlighting is needed. So, I知 gladly accepting of the larger meter, and since my BX should follow me to the grave, I値l need a bigger meter as the eyes start to fail. I知 not sure if I prefer the white meter case that glows at night. I wonder what the meter would be like if cast in black and only the arched tube glowed with fluorescent indications. The white case isn稚 a distraction or a complaint. I just think a black case could be a consideration. IN any event, I think the tube is still fairly easy to read.

Since I have determined that I like to have a meter on my BX (and the lighted is a neat addition) I have plans this winter to change the temporary tape mount on the dash to one mounted firmly with a bracket on the loader valve, which may incorporate some sort of shield for protection. I also plan to install a separate waterproof switch for the power to the meter, which I may incorporate into a 12V cigarette-type plug for some other accessories, too. The bigger problem is that now I find the headlights on the BX aren稚 any good for nighttime loader work, so another project is in the making ROPS lights.

In any case, Good Job Rick, and R&B manufacturing! I値l post some photos as soon as I can my camera back from the shop.