I have to wonder why?

/ I have to wonder why? #21  
Very nice. I watched your videos on the backhoe thumb control. I had a feeling that you might redo the third function button.

I'm not a neighbor but I might have to move to Newfoundland.

/ I have to wonder why? #22  
Thanks. So true about using the stub shaft but I had that new buffer and wanted to try it out :laughing: I've buffed many an item in the lathe and then finish it off with Autosol. Cool, stuff. Machining is great but only if your doing it for yourself. I find it can be boring on the large machining jobs.

I know the feeling; I knew to mark a trailer axle for the crown before I cut it in half... but forgot in the excitement. LOL

/ I have to wonder why? #23  
Very , very nice job on the shift knob. I knew you would make one, why have an oversized ugly knob when you're completely capable of making your own.
Your wife's emblem set in the top of the knob really makes it special. Very nice job indeed.

In the 80's I bought a Complete vintage Dentist Office, It was on the last day of an antique flee market, the guy just didn't want to bring it all home with him. 100.00 bucks take it all away. Best deal I ever made. In the pile of stuff, chairs, spittoon, drills, tools, cabinets etc. was an East Wing Dental buffer and a dental sterilizing cabinet.
I picked up a couple of lighted buffing shrouds and made up my own buffing cabinet. I put a blower in the bottom of the cabinet with a hot air furness filer. I have been using it ever since. All the debris is captured into the furness filter. Works well.
It makes life much easier without having to go outside. Now that you have a dedicated buffer you should make something. It will always come in handy.

DDX3cg5.jpg

nrMxauG.jpg

DMt9Cvm.jpg

fVEtTzI.jpg

/ I have to wonder why?
Waxman I repair buffers like yours here at the shop. We do work for a few dentists and denturest's. Those are nice units but in reality it would be way underpowered for my buffing jobs plus the buffing pads are to small and the area is to confined.
It would be ideal for very small items though.
I'd never buff in the shop. Did it once and took a year to get all the fibres out of the shop. Doing it outside keeps the shop clean, I have more room to get around the buffing pads, don't need to worry about ventilation... I did a Harley side cover last year that took almost five hours to do. That's why I went the route that I did plus it was a wicket price. Anything under 1 hp just would do it for me here.

Heres a few photos of some dental buffers I have here.

/ I have to wonder why? #25  
You should keep one of those buffers for inside smaller work. 99% of the work I buff is around the size of your shift knob and smaller, any larger buffer for me would be way overkill as yours was for that size knob. Buy the time my item gets to the buffer wheel it's the finishing stage and just very light pressure is required. Besides I could't stop my motor if I tried. It's a very handy tool for me, I used it 1,000s of times since the early eighties. I buff a lot of plexi glass items also which need the two speed and smaller pads. The other side I use a da sandpaper that could get any grit right down to 2500 if I have to smooth anything out.

In any case, the reason I showed you it in the first place was not to see who has the better buffer, or put yours or my buffer down, but for the debris collection and filter system I made.
No fibers get into my shop because they can't get by the furness filter system. It also keeps the operator clean. I have only replaced the filter twice, looks like it ready again.
I'm not too fond of making a mess inside or outside the shop and wait for the birds to pick it up.:D
Since you took my advice for the knob,:thumbsup: I just thought I would share with you what I made for a buffer filter system.:eek:
But I understand if you do a lot of large items you have to do it your way.

/ I have to wonder why? #26  
Paul in looking at your photo I think what you made is actually overall bigger then the knob you're replacing.

This is what I had in mind when I said make a one piece, but it does require more machining experience.:)
Just kidding, I like what your did for your BX. Mine is not waterproof.

WGeqROR.jpg

85FpvKs.jpg

usJrHKe.jpg

ohED1S4.jpg

/ I have to wonder why? #27  
Waxman, that is a nice piece. Can that be bought or did you fab and add the buttons?

Chris

/ I have to wonder why? #29  
Thanks guys. Mine will be a combo between both of these.

Chris

/ I have to wonder why? #30  
WaxMan, no one seems to replace the solid joystick lever with a tube so the wires can run in it to under the boot and be completely invisible. Have you considered it? Is it a bad idea?