Front snow plow modification question

/ Front snow plow modification question #1  

Larry_Van_Horn

Gold Member
Tractor
Case 580D Backhoe, NH TC40D SS, JD 450BC dozer, Ford F700 dump
I have previously posted pictures of a 7' plow I am modifying to my quick tach FEL arms. I am getting there, but had a question for TBNers. The plow currently has two single acting angling cylinders. THis is an old plow and these are very rusty. I am concerned about hooking them up and having any potential junk in them flow into my hydraulic system. (I think on my TC40D there is a filter before the pump). SO I can either replace these single acting or get a single cylinder that is double acting and weld up attachment points for it. Are there any + / - I should be aware of?
TIA,
Larry

/ Front snow plow modification question #2  
If the cyl rods are rusted badly then you might have a problem cause just as soon as they move it will probably take out the seals. I am not sure about going to 1, 2/way cyl. but I can not see why it would not work.Let us know how it turns out.

/ Front snow plow modification question #3  
Larry
New cylinders run about $60 around here. You may want to try extending the cylinders and polish the shafts with scotch brite. If the cylinders had oil in them there may not be any rust inside of the cylinders.
Your post reminded me about the rubber edge. I have to stop at this place and purchase an edge. Angelos supplies .

/ Front snow plow modification question #4  
Larry, why don't you use your hydraulic pressure line to fill and purge the single-acting cylinders. You can extend them out to maximum then remove the pressure fitting while forcing them to retract. If you do it over a bucket, you can catch the fluid and determine if there is any foreign material inside the cylinders. If the fluid is clear and clean, you are "good to go."

/ Front snow plow modification question
Jim,
good idea! thanks,
/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif
Larry

/ Front snow plow modification question #6  
You can also use compressed air if you don't want to hook up your tractor to it....