Water in Tires?

/ Water in Tires? #1  

Tractor
Looking
I'm buying a new tractor today. The dealer seems to mandate filling the rear tires with water. I have read threads on the matter that suggest that I should not do that. Rust to the wheels and such. I concur with that as water, air and metal tend to give that response. I don't what to spend for new wheels or such when that occurs.

Anyway, any thoughts on this matter would be appreciated.

Thank you.

/ Water in Tires? #2  
Does it ever freeze in your neck of the woods? If it does, **** no to plain water.

Antifreeze is a common additive to prevent rust. Lots use windshield wiper fluid, although I'm not sure of its anticorrosion properties. Both decrease the temp required to cause bad things to happen when it freezes.

Personally I ended up with Bio-ballast. I thought it was a generic for Rim Guard (beet juice byproduct), its actually something else. Both are nontoxic, heavier & have lower freezing temps than water. I'd go for one of those 2, despite the higher cost.

Calcium chloride is the classic one. Very heavy & low freeze point with a cheap price. Kills metal & also plants when it leaks though. Most avoid it these days.

/ Water in Tires?
Thank You for the response.

Freezes only seldom. Snows lightly in my area every so often. So, freezing not that bad an issue.

After reading all threads on this and other similar posts I have decided to let him fill them. He is adding antifreeze with the water so the freeze thing should be averted. Since the inside of the tire is not that exposed to oxygen the rust element I was concerned with appears to be a minor issue. With the support I get from the responders this seems to be a non issue. Therefore, its done.

Thanks again.

/ Water in Tires? #4  
If freezing isn't a concern, some anti-freeze should help for the occasions it does get cold & minimize corrosion.

Loading tires with anything definitely helps a lot with traction, stability & ability to lift with a loader. You still want some heavy ballast (a box blade or some other heavy implement) hanging off the back any time you are using the loader. The ballast hanging off the back acts like a teeter totter & pulls some weight off the comparatively weak front axle & its steering components & puts it on the beefy rear axle.

/ Water in Tires? #5  
And, think about the rust thing for a second. The metal thickness of the rims is probably 3/16" or some metric equivalent. How long would it take water to rust thru that?? I used Windshield Washer fluid for the anti-freeze properties. If I didn't need that I would have used water. Rim-Guard and the others are used to gain weight. A gallon of those materials is heavier than straight water. Not sure how much but wanna say a couple pounds per gallon.

Don't second guess adding fluid. You need it if you are going to do any FEL work.

/ Water in Tires? #6  
I had calcium chloride, in my 1970 tractors, I did loose a rim a few years ago, (the calcium is much more aggressive than water), and the rim were original so they lasted 40 years, and the other three rims are still original,

I do not think you will loose your rims with water in them any time soon, most likely will out last the original owner easily,

/ Water in Tires? #7  
hi im new to the forum. i have a ford 8n 2wd and i use plain wheel weights. i live in upstate new york so it does freeze every winter and i do use my tractor to move snow. some good chains and some good weights should do you just fine.

/ Water in Tires? #8  
Hey, 7000, another San Diegan!

Whatcha getting? Who ya getting it from? Where's the pics? (I'll go looking for another thread for that)

I need to load my tires... just haven't got to it yet. I'll be going water/AF.

/ Water in Tires? #9  
I loaded my tires with water as it rarely goes below freezing for more than 48 hours. Not enough time to cause problems, and when it does go down there, I ain't getting' on the tractor! :laughing: I did put a couple of cans of water pump lube/anti-rust in each tire to help the rust thing. I figure it works in iron engines with rubber hoses so why not.

I lived in San Diego and surrounding communities for 20 years or so, so I don't think you need to worry about freezing.

/ Water in Tires? #10  
I used to have all my tires filled, now I have none of them filled. While we don't plan on having leaks or punctures, they happen. Then you have a mess. Depending on what's in the tires, you could end up with little dead spots whenever the tire rotated around. Don't forget to buy that special pressure gauge too, or that fluid will soon ruin the one you have. And when you do need to add a little air, don't overfill by a pound, or you might be letting some of that fluid out. Yes, some of these problems can be alleviated by making sure the valve stem is rotated to the top of the wheel. Yeah, that's handy, NOT.