Tow Hook for front of JD Tractor?

/ Tow Hook for front of JD Tractor? #1  

jacuba

Tractor
2011 JD 5105M w/deluxe cab, 32spd auto reverser
I would like to add a tow hook or clevis to the front of my JD 5105M. It has 4 threaded bolt holes in the front which I assume are for the weight bracket if you want to add weights. I was thinking of making a plate to utilize the four bolts and welding a piece of angle iron or two back to back to the plate with a hole to add a pin and clevis. If anybody has made one or has any suggestions please post.... I do have a loader but don't want to put that kind of stress on it if i have to be pulled at an angle.

/ Tow Hook for front of JD Tractor? #2  
easy job get a piece of angle iron 3/8" or 1/2" thick with the legs long to cover all 4 bolt holes and have plenty of room for your bolts. no welding just drilling the 4 holes, paint and install. And I would suggest drilling 3 holes in the other leg of the angle two outside holes for tiedowns etc and the middle for towing etc.

/ Tow Hook for front of JD Tractor?
Simple, but it will take a 5 1/2" angle to catch all four holes. I will start looking. Never thought about the extra holes for tie-downs.....
Thanks for the suggestion!

/ Tow Hook for front of JD Tractor? #4  
You could get the front starter weight. It has a center hole for the pin used to retain the suitcase weights. It's big enough for a 1 1/8" diameter hitch pin.

Attachments

• 6415additionalweights.gif
    6415additionalweights.gif
    26.6 KB · Views: 248
  • 6415starterweight.gif
    6415starterweight.gif
    21.1 KB · Views: 438
I just checked into the JD weight bracket and it's over $400 bucks. Since I have the loader I will probably not be adding any weights. It was a good idea, but about $350 more than I want to spend. I will pursue the angle iron idea unless I get a better one. Thanks!

/ Tow Hook for front of JD Tractor? #6  
Simple, but it will take a 5 1/2" angle to catch all four holes. I will start looking. Never thought about the extra holes for tie-downs.....
Thanks for the suggestion!

No sir, just two pieces of 3" angle placed back-to-back. Catch the two top holes with one angle, the two bottom with the other. Where they meet, drill your hole for the clevis.

I built a bumper like that for my great aunt's tractor. I made it to extent about 8" on either side of the frame. Kept her from tearing the side covers off her tractor. :)

Sounds good, I was not thinking about two, but that's a great idea. It gives each angle half the load and double thickness for the clerics or pin.
THANKS!

/ Tow Hook for front of JD Tractor? #8  
No sir, just two pieces of 3" angle placed back-to-back. Catch the two top holes with one angle, the two bottom with the other. Where they meet, drill your hole for the clevis............................

That approach will spread the load between the 4 bolts much better than one big single angle. With a single angle the two bolts nearest the bend will see most of the load.