Mini Hydraulics?

/ Mini Hydraulics? #1  

chopped

Veteran Member
Might sound odd but I was wondering if maybe there is such a thing. Im thinking it would be a device to reduce the pressures of the pump and then be able to use smaller hoses etc. and lower pressure ratings. Coupled with some smaller things like rotor motors and actuators etc. So many different possiblilites spin the chute on snow blower, move the levers on the quick attachs etc. Id think the costs would be much less

/ Mini Hydraulics? #2  
Smaller hoses does not limit the pressure.

As a matter of fact, smaller hose can handle more pressure that large hose.

The design of the pump dictates the pressure potential.

/ Mini Hydraulics? #3  
what you are referring to is called a Pressure Reducing Valve. Very common in construction equipment with "pilot operated" controls. It uses supply oil from a gear or piston pump and limits the flow and pressure of oil to lower volume/pressure. The unused oil from the pump is either dumped to tank or in most cases directed to other functions. It can be setup to work with Open Center valve systems but more easily done with Closed Center Valves and Supply on Demand Piston Pumps.

/ Mini Hydraulics?
I guess I was more in the thinking process of why they dont have a smaller ""branch'' off of hyd. that could do all the ''lazy'' chores that are helpful . My prime example is snow blower.Look at the size of the turn motors and the size of the hoses ,connectors etc. Now imagine a small reducing valve to lower the pressure and then in turn can handle smaller motors and hoses to spin the chute. Surly if i can spin mine with a windshield wiper motor then it does take that much ,The same would go for the up and down of the chute. Also the levers on the quick attaches. on a loader could be done cheaper, less bulky .
I assume that if I think cost, then its not going to be as cheap a replacem,ent as a linear actuator and a 12 volt solidoid.

/ Mini Hydraulics? #5  
Using the snow blower as example; if the pressure was reduced it means the maximum torque to the motor and work force of the cylinder would be reduced which may cause them to stall easy. So reducing pressure might require an even larger motor or cylinder. Reducing the flow without reducing max. available pressure would allow for easier, more precise, movement without sacrificing work force. A simple orifice in the line will give this same result.

/ Mini Hydraulics? #6  
chopped,

This pump is a 5 lb pump, about 3.82" x 2.8" x 3.66"

It only pumps about 1.04 GPM, but at 3000 psi continually, and 4000 psi intermittently.

Speed of a hyd motor or actuator is determined by GPM. Larger pumps provide more GPM.

Pressure potential is built into the pump and motor, but the pressure is developed in the hyd components based on load.

Pressure = Force

My hyd pump is driven by the fan belt of the engine.

I have a similar pump on my Power-Trac for the loader, and it does everything I want.

0.067 CU IN MTE D201-5486 HYD PUMP

The hyd power-pac's on boats to lift and lower the motor are very small and include the reservoir, and run on 12v.

I have one and use it on a land plane to raise and lower the wheels.

They pump about .25 GPM

You can get small, but you have to look for it, and it will probably cost more.

/ Mini Hydraulics? #7  
windshield motor can turn the chute... so why do you want a hyd unit? vs a 12v electrical actuator or motor to do this or that?

i would think there would be a lot of extra cost, from quick connect couplers, to valves themselves, vs a 12v dip switch, a trailer plug end, and some wire, and either electrical motor or electrical actuator.

/ Mini Hydraulics?
This is sort of my point. I see so many set ups with rather large hoses and valves and motors.
windshield motor can turn the chute... so why do you want a hyd unit? vs a 12v electrical actuator or motor to do this or that?

i would think there would be a lot of extra cost, from quick connect couplers, to valves themselves, vs a 12v dip switch, a trailer plug end, and some wire, and either electrical motor or electrical actuator.

/ Mini Hydraulics? #9  
Why not just put a couple of reducers prior to a pair of QDs and run smaller lines for your smaller motors/cylinders?

I'm running 2 pair of 1/4" and 1 pair of 3/8" QDs on my tractor. The 3/8" runs the backhoe, and one of the 1/4" runs my hyd thumb on the BH. I use both pair of the 1/4" for the chute rotation and deflection on the snow blower.

/ Mini Hydraulics?
good point. I have one run of 1/4 in the area. What I was imagining was some sort of branch off system that would use very low pressure lines and valves and motors and actuators etc. thus reducing the bulky and also the cost should be less.
Much like power steering pumps and hoses..
in a house we dont run number 1 wire when simple 14 is workable. etc.