Adding LED lights - with Pictures

/ Adding LED lights - with Pictures #1  

DaButter1

Tractor
John Deere 2320
Hello. I've stolen... err, borrowed... a lot of ideas from TractorByNet, so I decided it was worth taking the time to post what I've learned on my quest to add some better lighting to my JD2320. Previously I had two 55watt halogens facing backwards and when plowing snow with my back blade down our 1/4 mile lane they were barely adequate. After getting snowed in last winter I bought a Landpride 64" 3pt snow blower to finish out the winter and this summer just finished modifing an old truck plow to quick attach to my FEL. Now I needed better lighting forward and decided the rear facing halogens needed to go as well.

I did as much research as I could and finally decided on dual row DC series Totron LED Light Bars. I went with a 12" facing forward and a 6" facing back. You can find full spec's on Totron's website, but they are CREE LEDs and the 12" is 5760 lumens and the 6" is 3650 lumens and have a spot/flood combo configuration. I purchased from Matt at lightitupoffroadfs@gmail.com after ready a lot of positive reviews on different forums and his prompt answering of all my questions. His pricing was better than I could find elsewhere and I received the lights two days after ordering. I paid $20 for the optional wiring harness which I wouldn't do again for a tractor install. The harness isn't long enough to go from the battery to the dash and then up the ROPS to reach the lights. I tied into the existing power I had run to the dash and did use one leg from each harness, but to do it over I would save the $20. The lights themselves, with shipping included, were $155.

I installed a 2nd switch on my dash (top switch is for a 12v receptacle at the back of my tractor that I added for my lawn sprayer) and mounted the lights on a piece of 1/4" thick metal with some U Bolts. The attached pictures show the switch and my first light test. And yes, the wife thought I was crazy when heading out at 10pm to test lights. I shut off the security light and took the first official test pictures with the tractor about 185' away from the shop.

First the 12":

Switch Installed.jpgstock headlights.jpg12inch light bar.jpgside view of 12inch and plow.jpgside view light bars only.jpg

/ Adding LED lights - with Pictures
The difference was substantial. The pictures were taken with the blade all the way down. If the blade is raised as it would be when traveling it completely blocks the stock headlights and I'd be driving blind. I'll plow with the headlights off as they don't do much but reflect back into my eyes.

Ok, now the pictures of the 6" rear facing LED:

Attachments

• 6inch light bar no flood 2.jpg
    6inch light bar no flood 2.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 351
  • 6inch no flood 1.jpg
    6inch no flood 1.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 354
  • side view light bars only.jpg
    side view light bars only.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 324
   / Adding LED lights - with Pictures #4  
Looks nice did you use one each or did you use two each of the 12/6 inch.

You stated you would not get the harness again. Is the light connection on the lamp a standard easy to get plug or is it a proprietary one off plug that you need to have the harness just to have the plug for the light?

Furu - I used one 12" facing forwards and one 6" backwards... initially. More details to come.

The plug on the light is what I believe is called a DT plug and seems to be standard. Each light came with the other half of the male/female plug on a 12" pigtail lead which you could butt splice onto your wiring. Using the harness leg allowed me to avoid this connection, but again not worth the $20 in my case. It is however fused and comes with a switch so the price is right if you need those. I already had the fused connection for the hot lead from the battery and bought another switch from AdvanceAuto to match my existing switch.

The problem was that although the light from the 6" light bar was amazing for it's size, I couldn't adjust it to light up the area right behind the tractor and still be able to see far away. In these pictures I had my 6' finish mower on the back and it's completely in the dark. If I tipped the light bar down more it wouldn't reach out far enough. The front blade is just far enough away from the ROPS that the I could find a happy medium. Not so with the back. So, I went looking for another wide angle flood LED and found one from LED Lights, Bulbs & LED Lighting Accessories - SUPER BRIGHT LEDS | Super Bright LEDs. I bought the 2" 10W Mini-Aux LED AUX-10W-Sx in 120 degree flood pattern. Their website has some great pictures of most of their products so you can see the light throw. This light comes in 10, 30, 60, and 120 degree beam angles. It was $43 plus $6 shipping.

Here it is installed and the pictures afterwards. It lit up the back of the tractor perfectly and allowed the 6" light bar to be aimed farther away which made a tremendous difference. With the 6" aimed correctly I can actually see farther with it than I can the front 12" since the 12" is aimed at more of a downward angle. In hindsight for both the front and back I would do a 6" LED light bar coupled with one of these small floods. You definitively get more light for the dollar in the light bar, but being mounted high up on a ROPS requires another flood to light up near the tractor.

Flood Installed.jpgback view with flood.jpgside view with flood 1.jpgside view with flood 2.jpg

I would like to add one of the floods facing forwards so that I can aim the 12" light bar farther out, but I suppose I've pushed my limit on spending on tractor lights for now (or so I'm told). It did just occur to me that I tested and took these prictures with the plow straight, if it's angled the corners may be back far enough to in the dark and if that's the case I will probably buy a second flood...after the wife forgets how much I've spent thus far!

/ Adding LED lights - with Pictures #7  
There are many manufacturers with curved LED light bars, also:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xmoo...U&noredirect=1

And, in the straight, you can get the center LEDs in spot and the corners in flood. Someone has a vertical stack of six spot and six flood with a wiring configuration that allows either one on, or all on, depending on how you wire it up.

/ Adding LED lights - with Pictures #8  
I bought all my light bars from Matt at lightitupoffroad and they are the best upgrade for the money I have done. I am amazed at the light they produce with such a low electrical draw.

/ Adding LED lights - with Pictures #9  
first time post on TBN!

I've added one 24" 126w light bar facing forward with a spot/flood combo. and I also added a 24" 126w light bar facing the rear in a flood beam.

I LOVE the LED light bars, my truck has a 50" and a 30".

Tractor is a Mahindra 5035

/ Adding LED lights - with Pictures #10  
first time post on TBN!

I've added one 24" 126w light bar facing forward with a spot/flood combo. and I also added a 24" 126w light bar facing the rear in a flood beam.

I LOVE the LED light bars, my truck has a 50" and a 30".

Tractor is a Mahindra 5035

Welcome! Post a picture....