Wire lights to run on battery.

/ Wire lights to run on battery. #1  

Lawn Guy

Tractor
WeedEater
I want to run my lights when the engine is not running with the ignition switch so when i turn the key to accessorie mode the lights come on.

/ Wire lights to run on battery. #2  
not knowing what application you have, i could suggest a SPDT switch. center load on the switch becomes the wire feeding the lights from the key switc. I am guessing only the 'on-run' position is where the lights currently are, and not on the accy contact.

you do not want to simply bridge the accy and run contacts as this may /will power other items.

instead run one of the other legs of the switch to run, and the last one to accy.

thus the switch has 3 wires.

one to run

one to accy

one to lamp.

presumably lamp was already connected to run.. thus cut wire and install switch.

with key switch in accy, flip your new toggle to feed the lights off accy than run.. etc.

not the oly way to do this.. but it does isolate run and accy from each other.

/ Wire lights to run on battery.
When I turn the key to the light symbol I want the lights to come on when the engine Is not running

/ Wire lights to run on battery. #4  
did you read my post on how to swap the lamps from one position to the other and yet keep both positions isolated?

/ Wire lights to run on battery.
Could I just get some 12 gauge wire and a toggle switch and hook one to positive battery and other to ground???

Last edited:
   / Wire lights to run on battery. #6  
Yes,you can do it this way. Might want to include a fuse in the hot wire going to the lights. If the wire is hooked to the battery solid and it becomes pinched or in some other way finds it's way to ground you get a minny fireworks display.

/ Wire lights to run on battery. #7  
Suggest re-reading soundguy's post again. However, there's a chance it may not be germane to your situation - can't tell without looking at your tractor's wiring diagram. It may be that each of your tractors circuits, lights, fuel pump, computer (newer tractors), are relay or otherwise separated from the main "buss" when the key switch is off. But maybe not.

If not, the problem will occur that if you go from the battery direct (though a fuse of course) to the lighting switch common (the terminal that has positive power when key is on but lights are off) when you apply power to that terminal to light the lights, you will also be applying power to the rest of the tractor's electrical system even though the key switch is off. This could cause a significant battery drain depending on how your tractor is wired. However, it is still possible to wire it the way you are suggesting with the addition of two isolation diodes.

If the tractor's electrical system does provide isolation for the lighting circuit with the key switch off, they you can get away with the more direct approach, no diodes. Only risk being that of leaving the lights on accidentally and running the battery down.

bumper

/ Wire lights to run on battery. #8  
that's why i suggest a spdt switch for some isolation