Aluminum canopy ?

/ Aluminum canopy ? #1  

countrybumpkin

Elite Member
Tractor
Kioti, kubota
Decided after three years it's time to replace the sheet of paneling I have for a canopy, I got a couple of good size pieces of aluminum diamond plate. Neither one was large enough by its self so I welded them together down the center and created a 4 x 5 foot canopy. I really had not figured on painting to match the kubota , but have been wondering about heat issues from the sun light. Anyone else used aluminum with out painting it or had to insulate it on the bottom side ? I thought about maybe some smooth type of outdoor carpet or something and glueing to the under side maybe. Any thoughts.

/ Aluminum canopy ? #2  
Decided after three years it's time to replace the sheet of paneling I have for a canopy, I got a couple of good size pieces of aluminum diamond plate. Neither one was large enough by its self so I welded them together down the center and created a 4 x 5 foot canopy. I really had not figured on painting to match the kubota , but have been wondering about heat issues from the sun light. Anyone else used aluminum with out painting it or had to insulate it on the bottom side ? I thought about maybe some smooth type of outdoor carpet or something and glueing to the under side maybe. Any thoughts.

My WellsAg steel canopy has some kind of fiber on the underside. Looks almost like Celotex. I suppose it is to keep some of the heat away that is beating down on the top and also helps with the engine sounds.

/ Aluminum canopy ? #3  
I would think that whatever you use would have to have some insulating properties like foam. I don't think that would look that good and IMO you probably don't need anything under the aluminum. Just staying in the shade will make it feel cooler.

/ Aluminum canopy ? #4  
I think the pad on the underside of a canopy is mostly for sound deadening. I like your idea of gluing some carpet to it.

/ Aluminum canopy ? #5  
The shiny aluminum will reflect the IR heat radiation and keep you cooler than a painted surface. Many cabopys use a asphalt coated fiberboard under the metal, sometimes calded plenum board because it is used for home AC plenums. This board has reasonable weather resistance and dampens sound. Without dampening the aluminum reflects the sound down which seems to magnify it and make it louder. A 4x8 sheet costs about $12, available at a good lumber yard.

This is what I used for my canopy which is still OK after 14 years.

The canopy factory already found out what works best for the price. Why not do it right and use the same material?

/ Aluminum canopy ? #6  
The shiny aluminum will reflect the IR heat radiation and keep you cooler than a painted surface. Many cabopys use a asphalt coated fiberboard under the metal, sometimes calded plenum board because it is used for home AC plenums. This board has reasonable weather resistance and dampens sound. Without dampening the aluminum reflects the sound down which seems to magnify it and make it louder. A 4x8 sheet costs about $12, available at a good lumber yard.

This is what I used for my canopy which is still OK after 14 years.

The canopy factory already found out what works best for the price. Why not do it right and use the same material?

Now that you mention that fiber board, I believe that is exactly what is under my canopy.

/ Aluminum canopy ? #7  
I figured it had a name but I didn't know what it was until now, thanks JRP.

/ Aluminum canopy ? #8  
I have an aluminum roof on my Ranger with dense foam for sound deadening. It doesn't get very hot. I really like it.

/ Aluminum canopy ?
That looks good, I need to decide what I'm using and get it finished so I can out the silly thing on.

/ Aluminum canopy ?
We'll I forgot to update this but have the canopy on and ended up putting carpet on the underside and also added a console.

Attachments

• image-1437439131.jpg
    image-1437439131.jpg
    431.8 KB · Views: 257
  • image-3555451497.jpg
    image-3555451497.jpg
    528.8 KB · Views: 403