Linear actuator for power SSQA?

/ Linear actuator for power SSQA? #11  
Here is a picture of a linear actuator on something.

Attachments

• linear actuator12v.jpg
    linear actuator12v.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 1,127
   / Linear actuator for power SSQA? #12  
I agree that hydraulics would be costly and much more complicated. If you can find a linear actuator that is truly waterproof, and has enough grunt, then even if it costs $100 it makes perfect sense. J J's photo shows a simple installation, if the leverage works. Pivoting higher up on the lever arms would certainly do it, but then you'd have stuff in the air. Maybe a second set of levers is needed. Interesting.

/ Linear actuator for power SSQA?
Pivoting higher up on the lever arms would certainly do it, but then you'd have stuff in the air. Maybe a second set of levers is needed. Interesting.

I was looking at that, but the angles are wrong. If you mount the actuator to the ends of the handles you wouldn't get a full movement. As the levers go over center they are closer to each other in the middle of the throw than at the ends. We have the same issue a hair mounting to the small end of the lever, but not nearly as much. Mounting the actuator vertically attached to a cross-member between the long lever ends might work. But rather than go that route I'd get a better actuator for the lower horizontal option, which seems to be the industry standard.

As far as your "truly waterproof" the one I ordered is rated at IP 65
IP Code
6 Dust tight No ingress of dust; complete protection against contact (dust tight)
5 Water jets Water projected by a nozzle (6.3 mm) against enclosure from any direction shall have no harmful effects. Test duration: at least 3 minutes Water volume: 12.5 litres per minute Pressure: 30 kPa at distance of 3 m

Weather nor not my $54 China Ebay special lives up to the rating is another story... Something IP54 rated might be enough & I saw several cheap ones with that rating, but probably isn't the best idea & I didn't want to try risking one.

/ Linear actuator for power SSQA? #14  
Just an FYI ,anyone looking for a linear actuator, I found Auto Express on eBay and called them for one. Great service and very helpful. Very reasonable price too. Put one on the 3 pt snowblower and use the remote to adjust it up and down. In case anyone's looking for one quick and reasonable....

/ Linear actuator for power SSQA? #15  
I have also thought about using linear actuators on the SSQA. It will be interesting to see how it works out.

/ Linear actuator for power SSQA? #16  
A self contained electric over hydraulic actuator would work too, if you could find one. Power of hydraulic with convenience of electric. Probably more expensive though.

A self contained electric over hydraulic actuator would work too, if you could find one. Power of hydraulic with convenience of electric. Probably more expensive though.

A $300 linear actuator is rated 600-100lbs, so the power isn't an issue with a linear actuator. My build is suspect because I'm using a cheap Ebay $50 actuator rated to 330lbs tops (If I'm lucky, it may even do what it's rated to). I'd much rather go with a native hydraulic solution than electric over hydraulic. Electric over hydraulic is the worst of both worlds, 2 different component adding complexity, expense & weight out there on the boom.

/ Linear actuator for power SSQA? #18  
Air would be cheaper and very easy. A little 12v tire pump would handle it in stride.

Got the actuator & it's more or less what I was expecting. A bit slower to cycle than I was hoping for at 15 seconds or so. Unsurprisingly I'm unable to stop it or slow it down much with my arm strength. I know I don't have 100lbs of strength to try to freehand squeze it together, much less the 300ish it's suppose to be rated for.

As the weather has briefly cleared up to look like this, it might be a while before I make any progress. Any trips out to my unheated shop are going to involve plowing & that's it.
IMG_20150221_172046.jpg

/ Linear actuator for power SSQA? #20  
Good luck, but for me, it would be too slow. On the other hand, pulling and pushing my lever arms doesn't seem to take an extraordinary amount of grunt, so if you can take advantage of lever motion, maybe you can make it work. I will be interested to see how it plays out!