Driving T-posts

/ Driving T-posts #1  

rutwad

Platinum Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson 5465, Kubota M5040, Farmall H (2), Minneapolis Moline R, Case 530CK, Cat 416C
I knew that installing 12' T-posts was not going to be an easy task with just a modified post driver, so I came up with a simple solution. Since the FEL won't clear the posts to push them into the ground, I welded a piece of pipe approximately 3' long to the side of the bucket running parallel to the bucket side angle. Atop the pipe is a plate welded in place. So now with the FEL lifted completely, we can insert the T-posts into the pipe and gain 3' in height. Then simply position the bucket so the pipe is vertical and push the posts into the ground. Very, very simple and works well.

/ Driving T-posts #4  
   / Driving T-posts
   / Driving T-posts #6  
Why 12 foot T posts? Are you installing a deer fence? Why not go with 10 foot T posts? I'm hoping to fence in about 30 acres with an 8 foot fence and I've been planning on using 10 foot T posts, but I'm hesitant because I'm thinking that I'm going to keep the fence six inches off the ground and run barb wire at 3 inches and then another strand at the top that will make the fence 9ft high, which means a ten foot T Post is only going to be a foot in the ground. That doesn't seem deep enough, but the idea of buying 12 foot T posts and sinking them three feet in the ground doesn't sound very appealing either.

Eddie

/ Driving T-posts
Why 12 foot T posts? Are you installing a deer fence? Why not go with 10 foot T posts? I'm hoping to fence in about 30 acres with an 8 foot fence and I've been planning on using 10 foot T posts, but I'm hesitant because I'm thinking that I'm going to keep the fence six inches off the ground and run barb wire at 3 inches and then another strand at the top that will make the fence 9ft high, which means a ten foot T Post is only going to be a foot in the ground. That doesn't seem deep enough, but the idea of buying 12 foot T posts and sinking them three feet in the ground doesn't sound very appealing either.

Eddie

Eddie, it is for 8' deer fence, so 4' in the ground. With shade cloth the 10' post will lean over because that cloth catches wind like a sail. I don't know what your soil is but I would never put a 10' post only 1' in the ground. What is your 9' fence going to be for?

Driving them 4' in the ground probably takes only a minute. And the method we are using would take about the same driving a 10'.

/ Driving T-posts #8  
I'll see if I can get one today.

I definitely want to know how to use my FEL to drive fence posts! Consider this a tag!

Thanks,

/ Driving T-posts #9  
That's exciting. I'm wanting to raise a few different species, but elk would be the largest and the ones to test the fence the most. I'll probably go with galvanized 11 foot T posts after reading your post. What I've read about spacing is that with you only need four T posts for every 100 feet with a wood post at every hundred feet. To me, that seems kind of light and I'm going to double that, or maybe even go every ten feet.

The more that I look at the Man Saver T post driver, the more I like it. I read some reviews of other brands and they don't really seem to do much of anything. Watching the Man Saver on youtube shows that it's doing all the work.

Post pics and keep us updated. I'm very interested in what you're doing.

Eddie

/ Driving T-posts
Guys I absolutely forgot to take a picture today, but I will get one. But maybe this will give you a better idea of it. We just insert the T-Post inside the tube welded to the side of the bucket. Now instead of having to get the bottom of the bucket to clear a 12' post (it won't), we have about 3 more feet of clearance. Since the bucket won't clear the 12' post, the bucket is rolled back at angle enough for someone to insert the post. The ground person holds the post while the bucket is "dumped". Assuming the backhoe is level, the fence will be plumb from left-right. The ground person just eyeballs it the from the side. He instructs the operator as needed to keep it plumb. bucket2.jpg

Attachments

• Bucket.jpg
    Bucket.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 223