Bucket Hook Placement

/ Bucket Hook Placement #11  
I do like that Tripler. I think you showed that to me before now that I think about it. I like end ones from moving implement around. I also like the idea of no modification of the bucket itself, just weld the hooks directly on. What size hooks are they, 3/8"?

i have always used the 5/16 hooks, they will hold 1/4 or 5/16 chain. Some say they will hold 3/8 chain pretty well also.. But I don't have any 3/8 chain to know for sure.

/ Bucket Hook Placement #12  
I do like that Tripler. I think you showed that to me before now that I think about it. I like end ones from moving implement around. I also like the idea of no modification of the bucket itself, just weld the hooks directly on. What size hooks are they, 3/8"?

Like James, I used 5/16 on our 5740, we have 3/8 on our M8540, but could get by with 5/16, I never pull anything that needs 3/8 chain.

Also, looking at your bucket pictures, what type of grease do you use on your joints? When Barlows delivered my machine, they used some kind of black grease, but it looked very clean and didn't seem like it would build up. It actually looked somewhat dry which would keep it from being sticky and dirty. I use the Tacky Red stuff, but it attract dust and dirt.

I use Sinclair Arctic Fire lithium based grease, I've used several different kinds over the years and just settled on this as we get it by the case locally from our bulk distributor. I'm sure there is a better grease out there, this is just what we use.

/ Bucket Hook Placement #13  
My choice is neither photo.

The hook should have the opening slanted back, and slightly up, so gravity tries to keep the chain in instead of helping the chain to fall out. Mount them on the front top of the bucket.

I use 3/8 hooks from horrible freight, but cut off the clevis pin before welding. They work with 1/4 to 3/8 chain. I keep an 8' and 16' grade 70 chain on my tractor.

/ Bucket Hook Placement #14  
On the pictures, I have circled 3 places to weld hooks too. Does this area seem to be a good location. I have attached 2 pictures. Which one would be the best location?

View attachment 393138

The first one is the best of your mounting points and yes an added set of hooks might help.
You could place the outer two hooks, from your first picture, a little more outward and get similar results and not lose a lot of strength in the mounting locations.
An extra two of the chain hooks would be cheap and easy to install if you really want five hooks.

/ Bucket Hook Placement #15  
This is how I set mine up. 2 in line with the loader arms, 2 clevis mounts for lighter lifting straps outside of those. A hook in the center on top and a mount inside the bucket for a clevis. I also added a hook down low on the back side of the bucket. I welded everything on the top to a 3X3 piece of angle.

IMG_5314_zps4f02dd56.jpg

IMG_5319_zps33900b8c.jpg

IMG_5320_zps90d3bd60.jpg

IMG_5311_zps7be34fe0.jpg

/ Bucket Hook Placement #16  
I can't take credit for any of it, I think I got the idea from PHILIP8N or someone else and I just took the hooks to my dealer who did the welding.

I think ya stole it from me!!!!:laughing:

P5170006.jpg

/ Bucket Hook Placement
Now I have too many options. :) I do like TripleR's placement. I may just put one in the middle and one on each end of the bucket at the very end. I don't think I would need to put in reinforcement plates on the end ones, but I wonder if I should put one on the middle? I guess it depends how much I lift with it. I want a clean look. I also like the job that Teikis did on his bucket, but his bucket is shaped different than mine. I think since I have the heavy duty bucket that I should not need to reinforce it.

I found 3 - 3/8" weldable hooks in my toolbox that I purchased a while back that I never put on.

/ Bucket Hook Placement #18  
Thanks to this thread and the Weld-On Hooks Thread I have decided to use the double mounting
Setup from Kennyd's stuff. (see attached)

I think a 2x2 receiver hitch in the middle will round out any hook up I will come across.

On my existing tractor I am using two bolt-on shackle mounts on the top, these work well except with chain it can become a tangled mess really quick.
Chain Hooks will eliminate the mess and hook up will be quicker but I like the shackles for other things so the double setup will be the way to go.

image.jpgn

image.jpg

/ Bucket Hook Placement #19  
For safety, center hook welded to a backer that is welded to the bucket is probably ideal.
Additional ends when used mainly to stabilize a load is very handy.
But always when moving with slung loads keep your hand on the 'DUMP' lever if you wish to avoid stained drawers!

/ Bucket Hook Placement
I like the shackles. I thought about putting a shackle in the middle instead of a hook for versatility. I also would like to put a receiver on to move my trailer around.