Think the box outside

/ Think the box outside #1  

chim

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L4240, Ford 1210
Since the middle of the summer I've been gathering parts and pieces to get ready for snow. The used Pronovost blower is apart, cleaned and ready for paint. The mount for linear actuator (chute up/down) and the repurposed car seat motor is mounted (chute rotation). Maybe it will get painted and assembled in a week or two. I'll probably make a run to the hardware store for new nuts and bolts.

One of the other items that has been on the back burner for way too long is the rear wiper. With the wonderful weather today and nothing to get in the way, it was finally time to dive in. The front wiper was straight forward. Poke a hole through just below the windshield, mount the motor inside the cab, stick the wiper arm on and we're good to go. Since that was so easy, it seemed like the rear wiper should be a piece of cake. Wrong. Being fairly tall, I have the seat too far back to mount the motor under the rear window. Above the window would make it a head bumper. Hence, the box outside.

The motor is mounted in a box behind the cab. The shaft points toward the tractor. Since the wiper arm just needs to go back and forth, it doesn't care if it's mounted backwards on the shaft. I drilled a hole through the little part that normally covers the end of the shaft so it could be put on backwards. The box is on 1/4-20 bolts that serve as standoffs. Works well, but I'll probably get a real wiper blade for it like I did for the front. The blades that ship with these kits lack the "suspension" found on regular blades.

Attachments

• IMG_1619.jpg
    IMG_1619.jpg
    686.5 KB · Views: 244
  • IMG_1615.jpg
    IMG_1615.jpg
    375.6 KB · Views: 202
  • IMG_1618.jpg
    IMG_1618.jpg
    731.1 KB · Views: 225
   / Think the box outside #2  
Nice work... the finishing touches on your amazing cab build.

I will offer this as food for thought...

Over time the twisting force of the wiper will cause the stand off bolts to fatuge and break. I would cross brace them some how or replace them with the proper size "c" channel type brackets you could make quite easily once you have it working properly and further adjustment is needed.

/ Think the box outside
I can't picture that happening with the only force being applied is the drag of the wiper on the glass. Pretty sure the box would tolerate someone using it for a step.