Sad little bearing heater

/ Sad little bearing heater #1  

Loadstar

Platinum Member
Tractor
Ford 640
Its Christmas eve and I an working in the basement of our "civic center" rebuilding a pump. It has been a frustrating battle to get to the point of preparing the new bearing assembly. Well I found a fridge with a freezer to put the shaft in but needed to heat up the bearings.... well toasters make the right kind of heat lol. Might have to add a yard sale toaster in the garage now.

Attachments

• image-4708030.jpg
    image-4708030.jpg
    408.3 KB · Views: 197
   / Sad little bearing heater #3  
I like the way you think! Very cool.

I LIKE it!
I work on pumps and use a freezer and a bearing heater. I will remember this as we have two toasters in our office kitchen.:thumbsup:

/ Sad little bearing heater #4  
That's ingenuity right there! Awesome!

Though if you are looking for something for the garage, maybe a toaster oven would work better? At least it wouldn't keep popping out.

/ Sad little bearing heater #5  
The electric toaster is a good idea.An electric fry pan works well too - thermostatically controlled but not as quick.

/ Sad little bearing heater
Lots of times we just find an oven, bring a welding rod oven, or we keep crock pots at the shop for them also. Unfortunately I was against a wall today. The toaster actually surprised me, outperforming the previous mentioned devices. Actually burned my thumb putting the assembly together. Here is some more pics of the pump. Fought me to the end. Everything seized. It failed at high rpm and sheared the teeth off the love joy coupling, rubber was still good even. Wish I could have saw that.

Attachments

• image-1538092716.jpg
    image-1538092716.jpg
    666.4 KB · Views: 280
  • image-3287187332.jpg
    image-3287187332.jpg
    634.2 KB · Views: 282
   / Sad little bearing heater #8  
I have rebuild wind turbine gearbox " in the air" and we used a electric hot plate from wally world once cause we were stock and the unit was down. Used a cheapo IR temp gun to get it to the right temperature. Did not look to professional but it did the job.

/ Sad little bearing heater #9  
From experience I can tell you that the small plug in toaster ovens work well too. It accepts larger bearings, you can set the temp you want to maintain, and there is even a little glass door that keeps things clean.