Kubota L3200 / 3301 brake pedal placement

/ Kubota L3200 / 3301 brake pedal placement #1  

Scott65

Silver Member
Tractor
2013 Kubota L3301
I'm not sure what all models have the same arrangements. I have the new L3301 which I believe is nearly identical to the L3200. I've come to the conclusion that the designers made an error when they placed the clutch and brake pedals on the hydrostatic models. I realize that its customary to have the clutch positioned to the furthest left typically. But with this machine, when operating the forward/reverse pedal while on an incline, its nearly impossible to release the hst pedal and mash the brake to hold your position. I hadn't thought about it until recently when I bought a post hole digger, and aiming the auger just right is a challenge at times. I have to slightly set the e-brake, then ease the tractor to its final location to drill.

So with that said, has anyone with a similar setup ever contemplated trying to change this? My tractor is currently stuck 30 miles from my shop in snow/mud. It will be a bit before I can get it into town and investigate. I recall some tractors in the past having pedal linkages that passed completely through the "block" of the tractor. I'm not sure if this is the case for either the brake or clutch on this model. I doubt it could be this simple. But that still doesn't mean it can't be done.

If nobody chimes in about having done this, then hopefully eventually this will turn into a tutorial instead if anyone has a similar complaint and is interested

/ Kubota L3200 / 3301 brake pedal placement #2  
A cruise control for those tractors is manual and would allow you to guide your tractor with the brakes. The retail price is 205 for that option from Kubota.

/ Kubota L3200 / 3301 brake pedal placement #3  
I was under my L3200 recently routing wiring for cameras, and I'd say it can't be done. There is a lot of crap/linkages/etc on each side that is very specific to each side's functions, and don't see an easy way to interchange it. There are also linkage ties between HST and brake (likely for cruise function) that couldn't be easily separated.

Some newer Kubota HST models no longer have a clutch pedal, and they have moved the brakes over to the left side.

I have no real problem moving from HST to brake pedal in tight spaces where fine control is needed, but can't see a way to ever take advantage of split brakes without first using cruise control. And that would not work in all scenarios.

/ Kubota L3200 / 3301 brake pedal placement
Hmmm... I had not thought about the cruise control option for that purpose. They told me about it when I bought the tractor implying it was easier if mowing long straight paths or something. I just dismissed it thinking that was silly, how hard could it be to rest your foot on a pedal where your foot would be anyway?

I didn't ever have any issue maneuvering it either until I got the phd and tried backing up slowly and precisely to drill a hole on an uphill slope. As soon as I would release the pedal and jam on the brake, I was off the mark. I would have to set the e-brake a couple of clicks, then reverse to my position. That's when I decided it should have the ability to control motion and stopping with separate feet, or one by hand, one by foot. So does the cruise control work in reverse as well?

/ Kubota L3200 / 3301 brake pedal placement #5  
Cruise control does not work in reverse... just to let you know.

If you are planning to modify anything, rig some cables to the foot control so you can ease into reverse with it...

Bummer, not working in reverse would defeat nearly all purpose of it for me.

Are you meaning hooking cables to the forward/reverse pedal to control it by hand? That could work quite well. I may order just the handle part of the cruise control and just let it operate the pedal directly, leaving my foot available for braking operations. I like it

/ Kubota L3200 / 3301 brake pedal placement #7  
Any piece of metal would work... there's a lot of "stuff" that comes along with cruise control... it's tied into the brakes (if you hit both sides of the brake, CC is disengaged).

I'm thinking something simple just to pull the rocker peddle into reverse (should work in theory;))

EDIT: look at 160 on the hst petal, does it look like it comes through to the other side (which is Fig. No. E109 on the first one, Cruise control photo)

Sweet, I believe you are correct! Mine is the l3301 so hopefully it's the same. I won't order the kit, just the components necessary to mount the handle and pivot point to make it look clean. When I get to a computer with a full size screen and a mouse and keyboard, I'll check out messicks. Their diagrams show the components but my phone won't list if they can get them separate.

What is that program or website that your using?

/ Kubota L3200 / 3301 brake pedal placement #9  
What is that program or website that your using?
It's my own "collection"... Messicks used to have the parts pages online (before kubota made them take it down, a long time ago...) I captured every page (print screen) and cut and paste it into photos.

Last edited:
That's pretty handy. Messicks has the parts breakdowns but they aren't quite like that.