Chain strorage box??

/ Chain strorage box?? #1  

varmint

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B8200, then a Kubota L3130 HST, now a Kubota L3400 HST
Just saw this... good deal, but the shape may be less than ideal? 120 mm ammo box from our friends at Surplus Center.

120 MM MORTAR SHELL AMMO BOX

/ Chain strorage box?? #2  
When I had/used chains, at the end of the season I would drop them into my 35 gallon barrel where all used oils are kept. Leave them in the "soup" for about a week, then hang them on a large spike on the wall of my storage shed. To store chains in a sealed box is to invite rust & corrosion - unless they have first been well treated with some type of inhibitor.

/ Chain strorage box?? #3  
Just saw this... good deal, but the shape may be less than ideal? 120 mm ammo box from our friends at Surplus Center.

120 MM MORTAR SHELL AMMO BOX

120+MM+MORTAR+SHELL+AMMO+BOX_L.jpg

Interesting, never have seen one that size.

It won't fit where mine is though.
P1260013.JPG

P1260018.JPG

/ Chain strorage box?? #4  
Hang them on the wall and spray them down with scrap oil & kerosene!

For what I want to keep on the tractor, I have a similar box - but heavier, mounted on the front weight rack - drilled a couple of holes in the bottom to let water out - wipe down rag with a little oil on it keeps them from rattling and rusting. Room for gloves, fence pliers, screw driver or two, and serves as a "crush zone" to protect the radiator when I get really stupid! :drink:

/ Chain strorage box?? #6  
Next time you change motor oil in whatever, drop your chains overnight in the full oil pan. Let them hang a bit to dry. Mine have always stayed rust-free for a year or better.

/ Chain strorage box?? #7  
I keep a 5 gallon bucket for my "chain oiling" bucket. Virtually all my chains have at least 1 hook and are 5/16 or 3/8 and less than 20'.
After cleaning the chain (knock off the big clumps) I dump it in the bucket covered by used motor oil, hanging a hook on the side. I then let it soak for a minute to a year.
When I pull it out I let it hang with the dripping end over a pan, or a gallon milk jug which has a cutout opposite the handle, or a gallon plastic food container. Then after it's dripped I store it in the jug or container.

/ Chain strorage box?? #8  
Wow your chains get some lovin'! I pretty much take mine for granted. Dry, out of the rain is good enough for me, id never oil them. I cant see how the mess would be worth it.

/ Chain strorage box?? #9  
Wow your chains get some lovin'! I pretty much take mine for granted. Dry, out of the rain is good enough for me, id never oil them. I cant see how the mess would be worth it.

Same here. But my chains were stolen through a divorce

/ Chain strorage box?? #10  
I am with you on this... nevered oiled them and think the handling would definitely be a mess. Maybe I am missing something here?