Adding Turbo to JD 850

/ Adding Turbo to JD 850 #1  

Dobie12

Tractor
John Deere 850, John Deere 455
Ok, I need some help. So I screwed up. I was thinking that the 850, 950,1050 were basically the same. I come to find out the 950 and 1050 have a different engine block. I bought the exhaust manifold and turbo plus all the parts I need to transfer the setup over to the 850. Flash of the obvious, the manifold doesn't fit. I tried to get a conversion plate made, but its going to cost around $800. Any ideas out there? Did yanmar make a turbo setup for the 3T80's series?

thanks,
Mike

/ Adding Turbo to JD 850 #2  
I would be very cautious here. I suspect the 850's engine may not be able to withstand the added stress of turbocharging. I'd find a good JD or Yanmar mechanic to talk to first.

/ Adding Turbo to JD 850 #3  
The 1050 was a turbo if I remember correctly. The 950 was 27hp at the pto and I believe the 850 was 22.

/ Adding Turbo to JD 850 #4  
I have an 850. it was never offered with Turbo. Just wondering how you propose to adjust the injector pump to match up with the turbo? I suspect in the long run things will blow up as they were no designed for the extra power

/ Adding Turbo to JD 850
Yes the 1050 came with the turbo. The manifold and turbo I bought came off a 1050. I will figure the fuel mixture out after the manifold issue. The turbo only made around 7 psi. Doubt it will blow-up the yanmar. Thanks for the replys.

/ Adding Turbo to JD 850 #6  
An aneroid valve adds fuel while under boost. As far as damaging the engine that will really depend on how hard you work it. Constant full power use will definitely shorten it's life, moderate use will just shorten it some relative amount. ISZ

/ Adding Turbo to JD 850 #7  
All kinds of things are designed differently for turbo vs. NA. Pistons shape, exhaust, valves, cooling system, head. I wouldn't try this w/o this information and knowing it would work.

/ Adding Turbo to JD 850 #8  
Adding a turbo to an engine will actually cause the engine to run cooler, at least at stock fuel settings. The way a turbo will harm an engine will be to turn up the fuel as to make it run too rich and increase the exhaust gas temperature. I believe aluminum melts at 1300 deg. More fuel = more heat = increased wear on moving parts.

/ Adding Turbo to JD 850 #9  
I want to turbo my 3005 once the warranty runs out... I bet my motor and yours are much alike. Mine is 1.3L and 27 hp.

I would be sure to install an EGT gauge, be sure the probe is in the manifold. Keep max temp to 1100 to be safe. If you are conservative turning up the fuel just a tad you should be ok.

/ Adding Turbo to JD 850 #10