For K7LN - Older JD 240 Garden tractor cooling issues

/ For K7LN - Older JD 240 Garden tractor cooling issues #1  

bjr

Veteran Member
Tractor
Jinma JM354
I have a JD 240 I use for mowing with manual trannny, that previous owner changed out the Kawasaki single cylinder to a B&S twin. I like the engine for power but it's goes thru Waaay to many ignition coils (like one a season @ $70 a pop). I suspect I've a serious heating problems as the coils seem to go away during a long hot mowing session. I have two large lawns I mow once a week in the summer. I seen the old post about the fellow trying to cool down his transmission oil with a electric fan. I want to do the same except mount it up in the front grill to push more air flow around the engine to keep the heat down on the coil. I've not seen a update on the trans. cooling problem but I assume it helped. Do you think it would help my engine cooling issues? I think my charging system is ten amps as I change out the stater previously during engine overhaul (I've never tried a amp test to actually see what I puts out. I just don't want to get into a situation where the alternator can't keep up with the electric fan and the electric clutch. bjr

/ For K7LN - Older JD 240 Garden tractor cooling issues #2  
a picture of the new engine in the tractor would help, as we can't tell if the airflow thru
the hood is similar to what it was with the original engine. a lot of air moves thru the
engine using the flywheel under the shrouding that cools the engine, so i would first
start and see if that shrouding has any obstruction under it, mouse nests, grass buildup
etc. was this engine designed to be a verticle mount engine? if not it may not be cooling
properly laying down.
you may try testing temps with the hood on and hood off and see if that helps.
i can't speak about an add on fan and it's usefulness.