Can a Bat Wing Bush Hog Have one Wing Removed

/ Can a Bat Wing Bush Hog Have one Wing Removed #1  

dieselscout80

Veteran Member
Tractor
New Holland TC45DA
All, I want a bigger cutter to clip pastures with and my tractor that only has 37 PTO HP.

I want a cutter with wings, so the mower can flex with the terrain. I know that some companies are making 12 foot batwing cutters that can be run on 35 HP, but they are a fairly new product, so they cost too much.

I was wondering if I could take batwing bush-hog / rotary cutter (regardless of brand) and remove one wing have it still function. I know I would have to fabricate a new side to cover where the wing was removed and maybe a counter weight if I wanted to raise the one remaining wing.

Would this work?

/ Can a Bat Wing Bush Hog Have one Wing Removed #2  
Yes. Several company's actually make what you describe.

/ Can a Bat Wing Bush Hog Have one Wing Removed
Yes. Several company's actually make what you describe.

Thanks

All the 10 footers I have seen seem to be really heavy duty like for highway mowing/cutting.

Do you know a brand/model to seach for to find one?

/ Can a Bat Wing Bush Hog Have one Wing Removed #4  
I think your going to be pretty surprised at how much of a load a 12' cutter is both on the tractor and the pto. Unless you find a glorified lawnmower deck I dunno how this is going to work? My 10' MX10 3pt mower is a heck of a load for my 70pto hp tractor unless I'm only knocking off a couple of inches of growth. If you have any hills to deal with I think I would be looking for a different option? Maybe I'm not aware of something really light duty that would work though???

/ Can a Bat Wing Bush Hog Have one Wing Removed #6  
   / Can a Bat Wing Bush Hog Have one Wing Removed #7  
The city nearby has some 15' batwing mowers that are pulled by what I would guess are 40-50hp tractors. They use the to mow all the city parks so just light grass cutting and no heavy brush. Small tractors can run larger mowers than you would think if it is just light use.

/ Can a Bat Wing Bush Hog Have one Wing Removed
The city nearby has some 15' batwing mowers that are pulled by what I would guess are 40-50hp tractors. They use the to mow all the city parks so just light grass cutting and no heavy brush. Small tractors can run larger mowers than you would think if it is just light use.

Are they finish mowers or rotary cutter/bush hogs?

/ Can a Bat Wing Bush Hog Have one Wing Removed #9  
The amount of power it takes to run a cutter is directly proportional to the amount and type of material you are trying to cut. Once a mower is up to speed it just needs to stay there and the tractor just needs to add energy to replace that taken out by the cutting action. that being said a lot of factors go into how much HP you need to run a given mower. These factors include the sharpness of the blades, are you set up for recutting or do you let the material exit freely, height and thickness of the grass/weeds, type of grass or weeds, speed, wetness, etc. The answer to your question really depends on what you are trying to do but a 37 PTO HP tractor should be able to handle a 10' mower given the right conditions but you won't be mowing as fast as if you have 7' mower. Often though slower gives you a more even cut.

/ Can a Bat Wing Bush Hog Have one Wing Removed #10  
i will throw my 2 cents in....when I bought my MX15 last year the dealer only had a 45 horse tractor (new Deere) on his lot to test the unit with and it diid not have enough power to even start cutter turning. It would just stall the tractor. 37 HP is pretty light for one of these type cutters. You want a tractor with some weight to it as these cutters are very heavy and can affect stability on inclines. I am running my cutter on 75 PTO HP and wish i had about 25 more HP.