2015 BX25D - plans for "upgrades"

/ 2015 BX25D - plans for "upgrades" #1  

MaineTom

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota - BX25D
Well we finally pulled the trigger and Barlow's should be delivering my new SCUT the week of the May 25, 2015. :thumbsup:
Went to Barlow after reading all the good stuff here and comparing prices locally. Brady just couldn't be beat even with a delivery all the way to Maine!

1 - What I ordered: Kubota BX25D- R-4 tires and 12" HD bucket and mechanical thumb.
2 - Land Pride SGC05 48" Front grapple, third function diverter valve included.
3 - X6315 BX Front Loader Quick Attach
4 - LED ROPS Mounted work lights
5 - Three Point Hitch

As you can see I'm NOT getting a MMM. At some point in time I may get a PTO driven mower/rotary cutter. So because the primary use of this little beast will be
clearing brush, stumps, and getting firewood, I'm convince that I need some "add-on". :D (I'm a retired engineer so "No project is ever done, it's just in review"

1 - Skid-plate/fan guard - I've gathered a lot of information from here, and other forums and plan to build my own "armor". I know I'm going to be into small sticks and stumps so it's going to be one of the first items before I go into battle.

2 -Steering guard - I have yet to see anyone build one that I think would actually protect the steering and boots up front, so I've already started making plans for that.

3 - Hitch ball on BH step - I saw this here I think. It was on a Woods BH but the BX25D BH has a nice spot on the step for a 2" hitch ball - may need some reinforcing but the spot is picked out!

4 - Receiver hitch on front - I have a winch that is mounted to use a Reese style receiver. I have power outlets and a receiver, on my truck in the front, and a "portable" battery case with power outlets on it as well. (Same battery drives my canoe trolling motor ;)) So I plan to mount the winch up front as a self recovery system. One of my projects will involve using the BH to clean up a swampy stream and pond...I KNOW I'll need the winch! :eek: I'll need to make an aux battery holder as well. It's a deep cycle battery and I just charge it up in the work shop, or for a fast charge I can plug it into the truck port.

5 - Battery charger port - Saw this here and it's on the list of "I'll get to it next winter", when I want to connect my battery minder.

6 - More lights - Although I ordered the ROPS mounted LEDs, I have some extra work lights around and I may mount them on the fenders.

7 - Tool holder - I plan to mount my 18V pruning saw somewhere so when I run across those branches that want to kill me when they hit the ROPS, I can get them first! Also a mount for my chain saw(s).

8 - Chain older(s) - probably some PVC style cans.

9 - Tool box - Have not decided where I'll put this yet.

10 - Wheel Spacers - someday but not right away.

So as I make progress I'll post pictures and status. Looking forward to some fun this summer! :cool2:

/ 2015 BX25D - plans for "upgrades" #2  
Congrats on your new machine, Sounds like you have some very good ideas.. Keep us posted and "pictured" when you get going on these ideas.

/ 2015 BX25D - plans for "upgrades" #4  
Congrats on your purchase. One thing to consider is placement of receiver hitches/balls. Technically, the only place one should pull loads from is the drawbar at the rear, at the lowest COG. Otherwise, the tractor can flip backward by using the rear wheels as a pivot point. And it's unlikely you will be able to pull the tractor out of pond muck via the loader bucket. In addition to again using the wrong pull/tow point, loader damage could occur. It's your machine, and I don't know if it's your first; but forewarned is forearmed.

/ 2015 BX25D - plans for "upgrades"
Congrats on your purchase. One thing to consider is placement of receiver hitches/balls. Technically, the only place one should pull loads from is the drawbar at the rear, at the lowest COG. Otherwise, the tractor can flip backward by using the rear wheels as a pivot point. And it's unlikely you will be able to pull the tractor out of pond muck via the loader bucket. In addition to again using the wrong pull/tow point, loader damage could occur. It's your machine, and I don't know if it's your first; but forewarned is forearmed.

Thanks for the heads up...I don't plan on pulling large loads, just some brush in a small utility trailer, maybe a stump or two. With the BH in place I'm not to worried about flipping backward...I'll be careful to be sure. The pulling point on the front will not be with the loader bucket...winch connected to hitch receiver connected to frame.

Thanks for the advice.

/ 2015 BX25D - plans for "upgrades" #6  
Be aware that, while the BX looks like it has plenty of room for a medium sized winch mounted to the front of the frame, the space goes away quickly when the loader frame goes below the level position. You don't usually see it in that position, but you need to check before going ahead with the winch mount.

Loader all the way down, there is only 3 5/16 inch space between the loader stand and the front frame of the tractor.

WinchSpace1.JPG WinchSpace2.JPG

Bruce

/ 2015 BX25D - plans for "upgrades" #7  
Congratulations! :thumbsup: Looks like you have done your homework here on TBN for some cool mods.

Be aware that, while the BX looks like it has plenty of room for a medium sized winch mounted to the front of the frame, the space goes away quickly when the loader frame goes below the level position. You don't usually see it in that position, but you need to check before going ahead with the winch mount.

Loader all the way down, there is only 3 5/16 inch space between the loader stand and the front frame of the tractor.

View attachment 424926 View attachment 424927

Bruce

Good point! I didn't realize that. Since I don't have the BX yet I'm planning a bit blind in places. Advice like this is why I love this forum! I'll rethink my winch plans. Thanks!

Thanks dragoneggs...I like some of your posts, good advise here.

/ 2015 BX25D - plans for "upgrades" #10  
I own a BX 24, and I suggest that you rethink mounting a ball or hitch to the BH. The pulling force of the tractor is too strong to transfer the load to the BH if the trailor gets hung.