Tiller tailgate for raised rows?

/ Tiller tailgate for raised rows? #1  

sl3uth

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kioti LB1914
Given the discussions in another thread about implements to create raised rows, I was thinking about building a special tailgate to my tiller to do this. Can anyone comment about whether it's been attempted before, warnings before I damage something, or anything else?

The idea would be to replace the heavy rear gate on my 60" tiller with a gate that has side walls, funneling the tilled soil into rows ~48" wide.

I have a forward rotating tiller, so it seems like this small necking (6" each side) would be acceptable. Any thoughts before I start making a mess?

Thanks,
Sam

/ Tiller tailgate for raised rows? #2  
Sam you may want to check with Troy-Built Tillers. Years ago I used to own one and it had an attachment to use for furrowing or for use with raised rows. A V shaped wing that merely attached to the backside of the TroyBuilt tiller. It did work to a degree. I am sure they would still offer it and you might apply the principle to whatever you use. Good luck to you. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Tiller tailgate for raised rows? #4  
Sam,

I would think that you could build fairly easily a replacement tailgate that you could mount and try. OR, you could leave your gate alone and mount some ridging tools to the tiller (make them adjustable and removeable of course) and go to it.

Doesn't seem like a tough project. Best wishes,
Ron

/ Tiller tailgate for raised rows?
Since a picture is worth a thousand words, attached is an image of what I would be trying to do.

I looked at the troy-built tool mentioned. They are making rows by pushing the tilled soil to each side from the middle; whereas, I was thinking of pushing the tilled soil toward the middle making both sides of the row at the same time.

As long as I can live with rows a little narrower than my tiller, I see this as an advantage because it levels out the top of the raised row. Anyone think of any disadvantages...either way?

Thanks,
Sam

Attachments

• 381023-TillerTail.jpg
    381023-TillerTail.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 326
   / Tiller tailgate for raised rows? #6  
Check out my last message in the "Ground prep for spring" thread. It had links to what you're looking for.

Kevin

/ Tiller tailgate for raised rows? #7  
Kevin that is exactly what I was talking about.