That dang parking brake!

/ That dang parking brake! #1  

Luke'sScreenName

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota MX4800 with BH-90X hoe; Hustler FastTrack 48; B3300SU (sold); 1969 Case 680B CK (sold)
I have had this problem on both HST tractors I have owned-- I forget I have the parking break set and drive around like a dope burning breaks and fuel!

I've tried to stomp the heck out of the brake pedal prior to engaging the parking brake so it's harder to be oblivious to its effects but doing that is a PIA and I guess I am lazy. So what ends up happening is I don't set the parking brake and hope for the best (occasionally I'll set the FEL on the ground). Not the safest solution as I am off and on the tractor a lot. (In advance: please no suggestions like- "just don't forget that it's set or "you can't TELL when the brakes are engaged?! thanks :thumbsup: )

So I just copied a mod suggested in this forum (someone please help me give credit to the "inventor / originator" as I can't find the original post).

IMG_20150628_152124713 (2).jpg

There are now flashing blue chasing lights and the �arking brake like now flashes. It痴 a great mod but as the originator mentioned it may not (and in fact does not) attract much attention in bright daylight (the originator has a cab). So basically my distracted mind can still ignore it.

My first step is to find a brighter LED light. Any suggestions? (It needs to be a three wire fixture with a control wire as there is power to the light when the warning light is off).

My second step is to add loud sound!

I want a buzzer to go off only when both the parking break AND the HST pedal are engaged. In other words I don稚 want to hear the alarm the entire time the parking brake is set (that would drive me nuts); I only want to hear the alarm when the brake is set AND I step on the HST pedal (either reverse or forward).

So I got to looking at the HST pedal expecting to find a pressure switch that is activated when engaged forward or backwards or possibly two switches -one for each direction (my MX has one pedal that rocks back and forth). No such thing the pedal linkages go right into the drivetrain housing. I can see the whole thing and no switch or wires. I know one exists because the pedal related safety fractures work (e.g. the engine dies if you press the HST pedal without being in the seat).

Is this ECU controlled? Where is the sensor(s) for engagement of the pedal? Kubota MX4800

Help!

/ That dang parking brake! #2  
I like the light idea. :thumbsup:

/ That dang parking brake! #3  
The question for me is when and whether you need the brakes to park. I have 2 HSTs. The older one will roll easy in gear, but the newer wont - it pretty much sticks where you put it. Yours is a newer model and I expect is the same. Floating the fel bucket is added insurance and the two together are adequate for all general circumstances; turning the wheels is a further additive option. I find the special circumstances where the brakes are needed are unique enuf that it reminds me they are on.
,,,larry

/ That dang parking brake! #4  
I treally like what you did and I am going to do the same. Thanks.

/ That dang parking brake! #5  
I am guilty as well. I had a 1941 Ford 9N with no parking brake. I just left it in gear and shut off mostly.

My new LS G3033H with HST obviously has this feature. I am good about using the brake but not so good at tripping it off before I start to take off... I hate that feeling when I realize I am fighting the brake..... I am watching this post closely.

Bill

/ That dang parking brake! #6  
My mower has the brake interlocked to the ignition. Try to move the machine with the brake on and it kills the engine. First time I used the mower it took me 3-4 tries before I realized what was happening.

/ That dang parking brake! #7  
I have left the brake on several times in the past with gear tractors , now I have finally gotten use to taping the brakes every time I start off , it is automatic for me to do that now .

/ That dang parking brake! #8  
As I rarely have to use stopping brakes on my HST I leave the brakes unpinned as turning brakes. The parking brake lever only engages the left brake. So I figure out pretty quick when I'm driving in circled. I also put the brake on as hard as I can. That way the HST squeals a bit when I hit the go pedal also reminding me.

I have left the brake on before though.

/ That dang parking brake! #9  
Here are my blue brake lights.

Attachments

• image-618606248.jpg
    image-618606248.jpg
    591.2 KB · Views: 571