Zero Turn Mods

/ Zero Turn Mods #1  

Kubota Tee

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L5740 HSTC-3, Kubota L3540HST-3 (sold)
After exploring various forums on the Internet, I was not able to find a whole lot of posts where people were customizing their zero turn mowers. Of course, there is always 4Shorts on this forum who can (and does) customize just about everything and I will probably borrow from him once again with his zero turn customized rear bumper/hitch. But other than Paul, it gets pretty thin. When you search the lawn care sites, it's all about making money - which I completely understand! But for me, investing in a high end commercial zero turn mower is all about time, enjoyment and never wanting to buy another mower!! So ....., after many months of research, I landed on a Toro Z Master 6000 series commercial mower. I mow about 5 acres and sometimes up to 10 acres depending on a share-the-work program I have with my neighbor since we jointly own some nice property along side our lake that we use for recreation.

Now, on to the mods. The first question my wife asked me was "why do you want to mod your brand new mower?" She actually should have known better since I've done a bunch of mods to my Kubota Grand L3540HST. For me, it's all about making the machine MINE! Adding those extra features and conveniences that really turns a utility machine made for the masses into a one-of-a-kind, personalized machine made just for me. AND ....., like I said above, I plan on owning this machine for many, many years to come.

So, where to start? For me, it's lights and electrical accessories. I started getting things mounted and tested this morning, but I'm still waiting on my side lights to arrive before I complete all the wiring. Here's a few pics to show what I'm up to.

Attachments

• image-4191371809.jpg
    image-4191371809.jpg
    516 KB · Views: 1,334
  • image-1454517132.jpg
    image-1454517132.jpg
    554.1 KB · Views: 843
  • image-4103218586.jpg
    image-4103218586.jpg
    564.9 KB · Views: 1,082
  • image-3016655718.jpg
    image-3016655718.jpg
    521.3 KB · Views: 1,054
  • image-3692189534.jpg
    image-3692189534.jpg
    533.2 KB · Views: 2,122
  • image-3845764999.jpg
    image-3845764999.jpg
    540.5 KB · Views: 1,037
  • image-1749099804.jpg
    image-1749099804.jpg
    540.1 KB · Views: 1,539
  • image-1584262275.jpg
    image-1584262275.jpg
    533.4 KB · Views: 2,401
   / Zero Turn Mods #2  
Well Thomas you brought me out of hiding because I had to tell you just how cool your install is. Love it. Looks oem. Nice looking ztr as well. Looking forward to seeing more of your mods. As for modding stuff. I can't resist. There's always an improvement to be made with everything.
Have a great weekend my friend.

Paul

/ Zero Turn Mods #3  
Yes, but you don't have a foot operated PTO control, with an orange LED mounted in the connector across the switch that lights up when the ' PTO DEACTIVATOR FOOT SWITCH ' shut the PTO off..... [ I'm old and retired with lots of time on my hands, and sometimes shut the PTO off a lot crossing my dusty driveway.... ]

Attachments

• SAM_0140 (Large).jpg
    SAM_0140 (Large).jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 1,621
   / Zero Turn Mods
Well Thomas you brought me out of hiding because I had to tell you just how cool your install is. Love it. Looks oem. Nice looking ztr as well. Looking forward to seeing more of your mods. As for modding stuff. I can't resist. There's always an improvement to be made with everything. Have a great weekend my friend. Paul

Paul - great to hear from you! And of course, thanks again for all your inspirations. I've got a few more coming on this zero turn, so stay tuned .....

/ Zero Turn Mods
Yes, but you don't have a foot operated PTO control, with an orange LED mounted in the connector across the switch that lights up when the ' PTO DEACTIVATOR FOOT SWITCH ' shut the PTO off..... [ I'm old and retired with lots of time on my hands, and sometimes shut the PTO off a lot crossing my dusty driveway.... ]

That is one fine modification Jerry - I can definitely see that being useful if you are turning the PTO on and off quite often. Very well executed!

/ Zero Turn Mods #6  
The deck height on my Exmark Navigator was hard to adjust consisting of pulling a hairpin cotter and moving to an adjacent hole on each of four adjusting posts while supporting the weight of the deck. I made the four pair of adjusting cam/handles out of 1/8" aluminum on my CNC router. The stepped cam lobes provide a range of four deck heights with a UHMW washer under to ease adjustment. This hand adjustment of each of the four corners pales in comparison to single point adjustment on many mowers but is much better than the stock method. Adjustment consists of grabbing the black handle and rotating the cam to the desired position. (times four places) Dropping one side of the deck temporarily for mowing along a curb, for example, is a fairly easy process.

Attachments

• EXMARK_102.jpg
    EXMARK_102.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 1,484
  • EXMARK_101.jpg
    EXMARK_101.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 2,294
  • exmark_102.png
    exmark_102.png
    64 KB · Views: 838
   / Zero Turn Mods
The deck height on my Exmark Navigator was hard to adjust consisting of pulling a hairpin cotter and moving to an adjacent hole on each of four adjusting posts while supporting the weight of the deck. I made the four pair of adjusting cam/handles out of 1/8" aluminum on my CNC router. The stepped cam lobes provide a range of four deck heights with a UHMW washer under to ease adjustment. This hand adjustment of each of the four corners pales in comparison to single point adjustment on many mowers but is much better than the stock method. Adjustment consists of grabbing the black handle and rotating the cam to the desired position. (times four places) Dropping one side of the deck temporarily for mowing along a curb, for example, is a fairly easy process.

npalen - that is one heck of an engineering effort to overcome a challenging factory design. Boy, they must have thought people only adjust their deck height once or twice a season! I'm glad the new designs have made the whole deck height adjustment a lot easier. Although mine is a mechanical approach with a single pin, many of the new machines have a dial that allows you to dial in your desired cutting height and away you go! Nice job on this mod!!

/ Zero Turn Mods
The side lights came in today and I was able to get them mounted. For the starboard side, there was a hole already there from the factory - not sure what for, but the location seems perfect. I went ahead and drilled out a hole on the port side in the same location to get both sides mounted up. The next step will be to wire everything up and start using these new accessories. My next post will be of pics with everything functional, including some pics at night to show how the lights are working.

Attachments

• image-2471228642.jpg
    image-2471228642.jpg
    482.2 KB · Views: 1,343
  • image-3017699931.jpg
    image-3017699931.jpg
    562.6 KB · Views: 1,662
   / Zero Turn Mods #9  
what about a radio? years ago i put a 8 track tape player on a motorcycle. that was before there was much music for motorcycles. with all weather radios for tractors it wouldnt be hard to find a place to set it.

/ Zero Turn Mods #10  
This is not something you would want to do Kubota Tee but someone might want to. My nephew made a very simple discharge shoot shut off for his. He used a 1" board and a couple eye bolts and used a bungee cord for a spring. It sets up in the vertical position out of the way when not in use and just flips down over the shoot when he wants to block the shoot so he can mow next to a flour bed or something. He just reaches down and flips it ether way with his hand and the bungee cord holds it in place, I can't send a pic because the mower is over a hour away and my camera wont focus well that far, it would be all blurry.

Kubota Tee no insult intended I just assume you would want something more polished.
Ed