Wings on Snowblower?

/ Wings on Snowblower? #1  

dltimmons

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 4310 Power Reverser
I have a 48" wide Yanmar snowblower that I got with an older 87 Massey Fergeson 1010 tractor that I bought 2 years ago.
Today I sold the tractor, but the buyer didn't really want the snowblower, he wanted my 5' Landpride rear blade with interchangable rock rake instead. So goodbye tractor and rearblade.

My new tractor, JD 4310 is 5' wide with the way I have the rear tires set, so I want to get a 5'6, or 6' box blade anyway. I'm wandering if I make some wings for the sides of this 48" snowblower, if it would work OK behind my bigger tractor? I know I would have to take it a little slower, but do you think this is workable? I have a front blade for the JD, so don't really need a snowblower unless we get more than 2' of snow at one time. But since I have it, I thought wings might make it usable on the bigger tractor.
Anyone tried this? Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

On second thought, anyone around Colorado need a good used 48" snowblower? Make me an offer.

Thanks,

DT

/ Wings on Snowblower? #2  
Wheel Horse uses this on their single stage snowblower. It makes a 36" into a 42". It works fine, those side wings stuck out beyond the front about 3". So you will always leave a little snow when you stop. The only other thing was if you were up against an edge that was stiff it would want to pull you into that snow bank.

/ Wings on Snowblower? #3  
This is a neat idea! Ive never seen it done but it seems as though it would work OK. I would make the wings out of rather heavy plate or some sort of reenforcement (maybe both) b/c they'll be acting like plows instead of just a funnel. Shape would also be important...a sort of stretched out 'Z'. To get good contact w/ the road surface you could attach flexible material that would act as a wiper (like a pirce of horse stall mat). Anyway it sounds doable. Id like to know how it turns out.

/ Wings on Snowblower? #4  
It will work. when you add the wings put about 4" of extension Parralell to the blower so that the wings don't drag you into the banks. Also this configuration provides side clearanceallow you to make gentle turns while blowing without putting excess pressure on the blower sides and mounting harness. it works well.

/ Wings on Snowblower? #5  
Re your yanmar blower,

if someone wants to front mount it, I have the front mounting kit to fit it!
It takes the rear PTO using a gearbox and shafts etc to transfer power up front. Quite neat!
It's adjustabe for different tractors/blowers

/ Wings on Snowblower? #7  
I've got wings. They go straigth ahead but if you bent them and then reinforced they would work great. Here is a pic.

/ Wings on Snowblower? #8  
here's a pic of my wings

Attachments

• 579632-dk45blower.jpg
    579632-dk45blower.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 919
   / Wings on Snowblower? #9  
here's a pic of the blower working the snow

Attachments

• 579633-blowerworking1.jpg
    579633-blowerworking1.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 791