Adding a fuse to a Kubota fuse block or other options?

/ Adding a fuse to a Kubota fuse block or other options? #1  

Fallon

Tractor
Kubota L4060hstc, formerly L3200hst
I need to add in a 15@ or so ignition switched circuit on my Kubota L3200 (full project at http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/customization/321704-linear-actuator-power-ssqa-13.html) and am trying to figure out the cleanest way to do it. I'd love to use one of the empty fuse slots in my OEM block, but they are just empty holes with no contacts. Anybody know what tools & parts are needed to add in the appropriate contacts?

Other options:
  • Scotch lock quick connectors. Not my favorite at all, but I could tap into one of the other switched lines.
  • Cut 'n solder. It's a pain to do, even more so given there is little to no slack in the wires & trying to solder 3 wires together (1 back together & adding the 3rd) is a nightmare.
  • Run directly to the battery. Doable, but there goes the battery when the bucket cam says on when I put it to bed
  • Run directly to the battery + relay. Doable, but I still have issues tapping into the existing wires & a fair bit of extra cost for parts & my time.

Suggestions?

/ Adding a fuse to a Kubota fuse block or other options? #2  
This is a bit pricey but it is a quality unit and is very easy to install, especially if you get their wiring kit.

I've had one on my motorcycle for a couple of years now and it's been trouble free.

FUZEBLOCKS.COM

/ Adding a fuse to a Kubota fuse block or other options? #3  
I would like to know too. There already is a fuse block with empty spaces, so adding a circuit to the existing block should be doable.

/ Adding a fuse to a Kubota fuse block or other options? #4  
Could do a fuse splice.

/ Adding a fuse to a Kubota fuse block or other options? #5  
Do a search on Ebay for Add a circuit, cheap and easy. I purchased a few to have spares.

Last edited:
   / Adding a fuse to a Kubota fuse block or other options? #6  
I'm not a fan of scotch locks. I just rewired a friends trailer that was loaded with them. Too much salt corrosion in our area made them poor conductors. I used heat shrink crimp connectors to replace the scotch locks. HF sells them as well as many other stores. I've added circuits by cutting a line and installing these connectors. Add a circuit works too.

/ Adding a fuse to a Kubota fuse block or other options? #8  
   / Adding a fuse to a Kubota fuse block or other options? #9  
I have this on my motorcycle and it works well. Main

/ Adding a fuse to a Kubota fuse block or other options? #10  
If I were doing it I would use a relay to switch power to an accessory fuse block as seen in the many links in replies to your post. A headlight relay would do this easily.
The relay could be triggered or turned on by any existing switched circuit. I would feed the relay power for the fuse block from the main battery terminal on the starter solenoid using a fusible link.
A fusible link is a short piece of insulated low-voltage cable within an automotive wiring harness that is designed to protect the harness in applications where a fuse is unsuitable.
There are many suppliers of these low cost safety links.
Dave M7040