another led question

/ another led question #1  

darrenjttu

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 4300
How big wattage led light can I put on my tractor if I have a 40 amp alternator?

/ another led question #2  
40 amps X 12 volts = 480 watts.

But you need to include your other draws. What is your goal? Front and rears? Fronts?

IMO I would not exceed 200 WATTS total LED. Hydraulic Solenoids pull a lot of juice so give yourself headroom.

Last edited:
   / another led question #3  
I would think pretty decent. I have a 180watts bar and it draws under 9 amps. No expert here though, sure someone more knowledgeable will be along soon with a real answer

/ another led question
I'm just looking for front lights. I really light the light bars. Any suggestions?

/ another led question #5  
Found a 180watts curved led with a generic harness from amazon for 65ish. Like the curved because it throws a little light to the side too. 20150906_211545.jpg. That is with the front bar no headlights

/ another led question #6  
One thing to take into consideration is are you going to disconnect your incandescent lamps? Is so you could save quite a bit of power there.

/ another led question
I might as well not use the front headlights. I have one bulb out anyways.

/ another led question #8  
Don't have mine disconnected but don't use the headlights. Put a switch for the front bar and another for the back one

/ another led question #9  
There are some new LED lightbulbs that are high output.... If I had your tractor with 40 amps I would put a lightbar on, ROPS High (meaning up as high as your ROPS or mounted on your ROPS), and I would replace the lightbulbs with the new high intensity LED. They will put light on and under the bucket, which a lightbar will miss.

I personally order my LED lights out of china. After a lot of research it turns out that no LEDs (the bulbs) are manufactured in the US and very few housings are manufactured in the US.

Not afan of buying chinese, but when there is no choice, not a fan of being gouged by US distributors who just change labels.

a 40 WATT (actually consuming 40 watt) LED Light bar is so so so much more bright than a conventional bulb of the same wattage consumption.

Can you put up a link for the light bar you are mentioning? The better designs have the center in SPOT mode, and the edges in FLOOD. do not buy SPOT LED housings, really a bad decision...

Oh and just do yourself a favor and plan on spending money on a second light bar pointed back. Once you get these LED lights on you are going to be amazed.

/ another led question #10  
I have 2 - 22" LED combination spot / flood light bars. One front, one rear. Separate switches for each. But, I have an 85 amp alternator. I do use the cab driving lights with the LED's driving after dark or when plowing snow. Also run flashing LED strobes, 4 way flashers and an LED rooftop beacon flasher. I've never used the headlights mounted in the hood. Here's a link to the ones I bought.

22" inch 120W LED Light Bar Flood Spot Combo Work Lights 4WD Ute Offroad SUV ATV | eBay