Bucket hooks - Almost ready to weld

/ Bucket hooks - Almost ready to weld #1  

MOTractor

Silver Member
Tractor
Ford 1920 FWD
After reading a bunch of threads on bucket hooks and clevis mount - I am almost ready to weld. The bucket is on an LS XR4040 - what do you think of the placement? I have each chain hook (5/16) directly in line with the loader arm and the clevis mount in the center. I only plan on using the clevis for fairly lightweight stuff - probably rope only.

I am planning on cutting some 1/4" plate to mount these to, then weld the mounted hook/clevis to the bucket. I have plenty of 1/4" x 4" flat stock - I was thinking of a 1/4" 4" x 3" plate, what do you think?

A different way to mount them?

Attachments

• IMG_1781.JPG
    IMG_1781.JPG
    147.2 KB · Views: 880
  • IMG_1785.JPG
    IMG_1785.JPG
    154.7 KB · Views: 614
   / Bucket hooks - Almost ready to weld
I forgot to mention in my original post: I ordered and received my hooks and clevis mount from BoltOnHooks.com. Fast service and even refunded me part of the original shipping cost since he was able to ship cheaper. Great purchasing experience!

/ Bucket hooks - Almost ready to weld #3  
Those look fine. I have my two hooks lined up with the arms as well.

/ Bucket hooks - Almost ready to weld #4  
I think your plan is sound. Here are my hooks welded to the existing factory welded pad. I suppose the pads were for that purpose.

IMG_20121117_170314_242.jpgIMG_20121117_165314_192.jpgIMG_20121117_165303_772.jpgIMG_20121117_164305_653.jpgIMG_20121117_162438_547.jpgIMG_20121117_162424_854.jpg

I didn't think the original factory MIG welds were anything to write home about, but if I do say so, I think my welds with some 7018 turned out pretty good.:)

/ Bucket hooks - Almost ready to weld
I didn't think the original factory MIG welds were anything to write home about, but if I do say so, I think my welds with some 7018 turned out pretty good.:)

Your welds look great, you are right about the factory welds. I am going to cheat - will probably let my son weld them on for me if he can come out tomorrow morning, he is a welder by trade.

/ Bucket hooks - Almost ready to weld #6  
I think your plan is sound. Here are my hooks welded to the existing factory welded pad. I suppose the pads were for that purpose.

View attachment 445721View attachment 445722View attachment 445723View attachment 445724View attachment 445725View attachment 445726

Actually yours are quite beautiful! I just don't get 'em that pretty with my MIG. :thumbsup:

/ Bucket hooks - Almost ready to weld #7  
I forgot to mention in my original post: I ordered and received my hooks and clevis mount from BoltOnHooks.com. Fast service and even refunded me part of the original shipping cost since he was able to ship cheaper. Great purchasing experience!

Thanks John, we try not to "profit" from shipping fees therefore make the refund whenever we can. One day we might get a fancy cart service that only adds real shipping charges, but this is what we have for now.

The placement on your bucket looks perfect to me, weld away :thumbsup:

/ Bucket hooks - Almost ready to weld #8  
I did it the same way Koua did with plates but my root pass was of 6013 good and hot. Chipped it and brushed it then went over it with 7018 a few passes. I've picked the back end up more than once with these,,, i use the middle one most so the loader dont get racked.

/ Bucket hooks - Almost ready to weld #9  
Looks like you mighta done a few passes before - good job

/ Bucket hooks - Almost ready to weld #10  
Your welds look great, you are right about the factory welds. I am going to cheat - will probably let my son weld them on for me if he can come out tomorrow morning, he is a welder by trade.

Actually yours are quite beautiful! I just don't get 'em that pretty with my MIG. :thumbsup:

Thanks, guys. That is an example of some of my best stick welding. I don't show the worst examples of my stick welding:D