What kind of welder should I get?

/ What kind of welder should I get? #11  
I was talking about a MIG, but your right on with the arc.

I will say that I can easily weld 10 gauge steel with some 1/16 6013 rod as I have done it many times. It ain't bragging if you can do it. But I would prefer to TIG at those Gauges of metal. It is easier. I have welded my old junky lawnmower frame many times with 1/16 inch rod back in the day before I had TIG and I was beating the frame to death trying to mow 7 acres of rough ground with it. It can be done...

/ What kind of welder should I get? #12  
This is when you spend the $100 for your tig torch and regulator, rent the argon bottle, and start down TIG road... a very satisfying journey, if I say so. You will not be sorry.:)

That's what I call mission creep.

When I came here I just wanted to make trails in my woods. I was going to cut the trees up with a chainsaw mill to build sheds in the woods. So I got a nice little B7610 and a 60 CC chainsaw, and then another chainsaw, and another etc. now I have 6 chainsaws up to 120CC.
attachment.php

And two chainsaw mills. And a 10 HP Woodmizer bandsaw.

attachment.php

And I was making roughcut lumber for shelves for my pallet racking.
But I needed a bigger tractor to get the logs on the sawmill.

attachment.php

Then SWMBO wanted some bookshelves so I needed a planer.
Whoops, bought too much woodworking equipment because it was so cheap.

attachment.php

Then I needed a welder to patch stuff. Whoops, bought too much welder because it was so cheap.

Well mission creep is not bad if the labor force increases. But the only increase on this labor force has been my age. I can't "start down the TIG road"!
Maybe the MIG road.

Attachments

• 088_just-bought.JPG
    088_just-bought.JPG
    269.1 KB · Views: 1,149
  • 8x6SAM_0365.jpg
    8x6SAM_0365.jpg
    442.7 KB · Views: 1,213
  • 20130919_094832.jpg
    20130919_094832.jpg
    649.4 KB · Views: 1,226
  • 8x6SAM_0797.jpg
    8x6SAM_0797.jpg
    399.7 KB · Views: 1,167
   / What kind of welder should I get? #13  
But, but it is so cheap to start down TIG road.:D:devil::devil:

/ What kind of welder should I get? #14  
I purchased a Millermatic 252 about 5-6 months ago and it is an EXCELLENT welder. I had a Chinese 220v 140 amp (with gas) prior to it which worked well and there is absolutely no looking back. It was expensive ($2300) but hindsight being 20/20 I wish I'd have done it sooner.

LM

/ What kind of welder should I get? #15  
I've been happy with my Lincoln Power MIG 180C, but I wish I'd have gone to a larger machine. Still, I've used it on very thick plate, up to 3/4", using multiple passes and weaving, but I've also tripped the overheat relay and had to wait for it to cool down a time or two. It's great on sheet metal, and did a wonderful job when I swapped out the roof on my VW van for a pop top. MIG is much easier for a beginner to learn, see Welding Tips and Tricks - TIG, MIG, Stick and a pantload of other info for some great instructional videos. I also have a Miller Dynasty 200 SD TIG outfit, and frankly the only time I use it is for aluminum and stainless steel. So 90% of the time it just sits. Had I to do it again, I'd find the largest 240V machine that would run on the biggest breaker I could put in my breaker panel, then wire it to be safe. Probably look at the Ugly book for guidelines for that.

Spend the money once up front to get the biggest machine you can, and cry once, rather than every time you use something smaller and wish it was bigger. It doesn't take many repairs to pay of what seems like an expensive machine.

/ What kind of welder should I get? #16  
I started out with a Lincoln 135 SP running flux core .035. Those little 120v mig machines are a great way to start IMO and I think we proved a while back that they are capable of some medium size tasks under the right conditions. Learning with a stick machine is much more difficult IMO but some people pick it up easily. It sounds like you will be doing most of your welding in one location so portability may not be a factor to size and weight probably are not a concern.

Then take into account the electric that you have available. Do you have space in your panel for another 2 pole breaker? What about a dryer plug in the area you might be able to use? If the answer is yes then you will be able to look at larger machines. If the answer is no and you want to stick with the existing wiring you will probably want to limit your choices to 120v machines.

I have owned several mig machines including the Hobart Handler 125, Millermatic 175, Everlast I mig 140, and Everlast I Mig 200. The Hobart seems to run the best when using flux core wire and the Miller runs the best on C-25 and regular wire. I've tried several different wires on the everlast 200 with c-25 gas and have always had issues with splatter.

So if you are on a tight budget and want a mig I'd recommend the Hobart Handler 125-190 depending on your needs (flux core vs Gas shielding), available power, and budget.

If you are on a tight budget and want a stick machine I'd recommend the Everlast machines like the 140st or 200st. I have a 200ST and a 300ST and like them both. But to be honest I don't really do much welding at over about 170 amps or so.

/ What kind of welder should I get? #17  
I started out with a Lincoln 135 SP running flux core .035. Those little 120v mig machines are a great way to start IMO and I think we proved a while back that they are capable of some medium size tasks under the right conditions. Learning with a stick machine is much more difficult IMO but some people pick it up easily. It sounds like you will be doing most of your welding in one location so portability may not be a factor to size and weight probably are not a concern.

The thumb I welded on with my little Lincoln SP100 is holding on tight. ;)
IMG_1316_zpsofzowt8p.jpg

/ What kind of welder should I get? #18  
For rusted or painted steel its hard to beat a stick. Besides once you learn stick everything else will be easier to learn.

/ What kind of welder should I get? #19  
Like most have said you definitely want a 220V machine. My Lincoln MIG 180 has been great. 90% of the time I'm welding with gas. Had to use flux core a few times outside. It was initially purchased for a Jeep build I did with my son. It's also build some nice add ons for the tractor!

York Rake...
Pic11.jpg

Bucket Skids for snow removal on gravel
Skid Powder Coated.jpg

20151210_054438.jpg

Pallet Forks...
Pallet Forks Close Mount.jpg

/ What kind of welder should I get? #20  
If you are on a tighter budget and need to go with a 120V MIG welder, flux core wire is capable of welding a little thicker materials as compared to using solid core wire with gas, but there will be more cleanup.