What kind of welder should I get?

/ What kind of welder should I get? #21  
   / What kind of welder should I get? #22  
If you are on a tighter budget and need to go with a 120V MIG welder, flux core wire is capable of welding a little thicker materials as compared to using solid core wire with gas, but there will be more cleanup.
If you preheat your job with a cutting torch you can get better penetration and give those thicker metals multiple passes for strength. Dont forget to vgroove or notch.

Like most have said you definitely want a 220V machine. My Lincoln MIG 180 has been great. 90% of the time I'm welding with gas. Had to use flux core a few times outside. It was initially purchased for a Jeep build I did with my son. It's also build some nice add ons for the tractor!

York Rake...
View attachment 483105

Bucket Skids for snow removal on gravel
View attachment 483106

View attachment 483107

Pallet Forks...
View attachment 483108

/ What kind of welder should I get? #23  
Agree with bdog and I bought one (210MP) a few months back. Easy to use. Super easy set up. Does a GREAT job! I couldn't be happier with my purchase. Note, LE does promos often. I needed mine at the time and could not wait so I missed out on a good promo.

/ What kind of welder should I get? #24  
Very interesting thread. I am just recently interested in welding. I have no prior experience with and zero knowledge about welding. I have a 220 volt outlet in my shed which I had installed just in case I wanted to get into welding. My welding would mostly be the miscellaneous small stuff you encounter with cracks on attachments, wanting to tack two pieces together or a bead on a rod to prevent it from slipping through a hole, etc. I probably would do little if any fabrication, although I can tell from the many posts on TBN that I could easily get interested in fabrication as it relates to improvements to attachments and so forth. So far as I can tell from being an absolute novice, I would weld only inside my shed. I would not want to spend a huge amount of money on the project. I would be willing to spend up to $1,000 to get a setup that would work well, last a long time, provide good flexibility, etc., but obviously I would like to spend less. I would welcome any specific recommendations. Thanks in advance for your feedback.

/ What kind of welder should I get? #25  
Very interesting thread. I am just recently interested in welding. I have no prior experience with and zero knowledge about welding. I have a 220 volt outlet in my shed which I had installed just in case I wanted to get into welding. My welding would mostly be the miscellaneous small stuff you encounter with cracks on attachments, wanting to tack two pieces together or a bead on a rod to prevent it from slipping through a hole, etc. I probably would do little if any fabrication, although I can tell from the many posts on TBN that I could easily get interested in fabrication as it relates to improvements to attachments and so forth. So far as I can tell from being an absolute novice, I would weld only inside my shed. I would not want to spend a huge amount of money on the project. I would be willing to spend up to $1,000 to get a setup that would work well, last a long time, provide good flexibility, etc., but obviously I would like to spend less. I would welcome any specific recommendations. Thanks in advance for your feedback.

I am very pleased with my little Everlast PA160. 160 amp DC welder. I gave $265 for it several years ago. I don't think they make this exact model any more, but I think they still make the PA200 a slightly larger model. Sure this is a stick welder, and the learning curve for stick is steeper than a MIG welder. So may people recommend a new person getting a MIG welder. And that is fine, but they are more complex. And setting up a stick welder for a different rod and different task takes a couple of seconds instead of minutes. But each to his own. I also use my PA 160 to TIG weld, yes it is scratch start, but it does the job, and it was very economical to get started in TIG welding for small parts and non ferrous metals. (except aluminum) So overall get whatever pleases you, but I have sure enjoyed my little welder. And it can do some pretty fair sized jobs. For a welder that weighs 20 lbs and you throw over your shoulder on a strap to transport it. It will run 1/8 inch 7018 at 125 amps all day and not break a sweat.

IMG_20121117_165336_859.jpg
IMG_20121117_165303_772.jpg

POWERARC 2ST - Stick Welders | Everlast Generators

POWERARC 16STH - Stick Welders | Everlast Generators

/ What kind of welder should I get? #26  
I have a dedicated MIG, stick, and TIG machine. I run the stick for thicker pieces, and the MIG for thinner pieces. I've only used the TIG once and my torch quite working. I have another torch and decided a stopped up water cooler was probably what caused failure the first time. I've realized I'm really missing out not using the TIG, and I want to become proficient with it, but I haven't. I can weld 1/8 steel with the stick with an 1/8 electrode at about 80 amps. My machine goes down to 35 amps. Although I've never tried it should be possible to weld pretty thin stuff with a smaller electrode.

/ What kind of welder should I get? #27  
I really like some of the mods I have seen posted on here and would like to try to make some of these things myself. What kind of welder should this newbie get, a 225 AC or a 120 volt flux core welder?
Thanks!:cool:
I have a welding business weld farm equipment. I would not do with anything less than 200 amp mig welder with gas. A millermatic 211 would be my best bet. Miller has a new welder that is mig stick tig but am not familiar with it. 200 amp is capable of welding 3/8 inch in a single pass and more with multi passes.

/ What kind of welder should I get? #28  
I'm looking to get the MM252. Pricey but worth it.

/ What kind of welder should I get? #30  
I have the previous model 251. Great machine.

And I have the model before that, the 250. It's never let me down and I've put MILES of wire through it.