What kind of welder should I get?

/ What kind of welder should I get? #1  

detel

Tractor
Farm Pro 2430
I really like some of the mods I have seen posted on here and would like to try to make some of these things myself. What kind of welder should this newbie get, a 225 AC or a 120 volt flux core welder?
Thanks!:cool:

/ What kind of welder should I get? #2  
Get a 220v machine with a bottle, and if your working outside in the wind, put in the f/c wire, and don't look back:thumbsup:
110v welders really max out at just where the thickness of metal starts for tractor & implement projects.

Last edited:
   / What kind of welder should I get?
Thanks Rustyiron! I plan on doing all of my welding inside. One of my projects is going to be a wood splitter.

/ What kind of welder should I get? #4  
I have a 225/150 AC/DC Miler arc welder, always use it in DC. I can even "tack" sheet metal with it, best thing I ever bought.

/ What kind of welder should I get? #5  
I really like some of the mods I have seen posted on here and would like to try to make some of these things myself. What kind of welder should this newbie get, a 225 AC or a 120 volt flux core welder?
Thanks!:cool:

Besides a log splitter what else? Patching sheet metal? Welding thick steel? Do you have handy 240V outlet? What about 20 AMP 120V outlets? And perhaps more important how much are you willing to spend to see if you can do it?

If you don't know if you will like hot slag on your clothing you should probably start with a name brand MIG that does flux core at 120/240. That way when you catch that slag down the back of your neck and decide "NO MORE" you can sell it for a good price.

/ What kind of welder should I get? #6  
Building a log splitter sounds like a DC stick machine to me, on 240 volts. or a nice big expensive MIG machine. How much money do you have? How much time do you have?

Stick Machines are Cheaper, and capable of welding thicker materials for less money, but may take a bit longer to learn how to weld with. MIG machines for a given amount of money will weld thinner materials (with some really nice looking beads) will cost more to run, and for most people is considered easier to learn how to weld with. Here is what I would buy to build a log splitter.

EVERLAST PowerArc300 300A IGBT ARC Stick Welder - Power Welders - Amazon.com

Or this:

2015 EVERLAST PowerARC 200ST 200amp TIG Stick IGBT Welder 110/220 Dual Voltage - - Amazon.com

/ What kind of welder should I get? #7  
I bought a Hobart 140 a few years ago and it has served me well, but I do regret not getting getting the 190\ 230volt one. There have only been a few things I could not do with it. For fixing mower decks, doing sheet metal on cars and other odds and ends it does well. I run it directly off my generator at it seems to weld better then off the plugs in my garage. Get a decent auto darkening helmet as that helps alot. I have since got an older Lincoln tombstone ant that takes care of the things my 140 can't do. If you can swing it get the biggest and best you can. You can always do thinner stuff with a 230 volt, but thicker stuff with a 140 volt is not a easy

/ What kind of welder should I get? #9  
Thinner stuff with a 240 volt is not necessarily easy. With my $270 PowerArc 300 and 1/16 rod I was still blowing holes in 10 gauge at the lowest settings.

This is when you spend the $100 for your tig torch and regulator, rent the argon bottle, and start down TIG road... a very satisfying journey, if I say so. You will not be sorry.:)

/ What kind of welder should I get? #10  
Thinner stuff with a 240 volt is not necessarily easy. With my $270 PowerArc 300 and 1/16 rod I was still blowing holes in 10 gauge at the lowest settings.

I was talking about a MIG, but your right on with the arc.