Tractor covers for ROPS tractors?

/ Tractor covers for ROPS tractors? #1  

KiwiBro

Gold Member
Tractor
Kioti RX7620
There are times my tractor will be parked up on farms, exposed to the elements for weeks at a time.
So, I'm wondering if there is any generic type of tractor cover that could at least keep the weather off the 'lecky bits?

I might just buy a big tarpaulin and crudely shape it to fit, but am keen to see what is available to purchase and to learn of any ideas others have.

Maybe I should just give it another few months until the new tractor buzz wears off and I can't leave it out in the weather without thinking twice about it.

/ Tractor covers for ROPS tractors? #2  
Why not go to a tarpaulin maker and have one made to fit your tractor, that way you get the cutouts for the exhaust and rops correct and the tie down ropes in just the right place.

/ Tractor covers for ROPS tractors? #3  
Maybe I should just give it another few months until the new tractor buzz wears off and I can't leave it out in the weather without thinking twice about it.

My father-in-law leaves his tractors/hay equipment in whatever field he finishes up in, until he is ready to move down the road to the next location, all summer long. He sometimes covers the seats, but only the ones with exposed foam where the covers are ripped... been that way for 40 years, and it shows. Rough looking bunch of equipment but he gets it done. Puts them in the shed for the winter. Looks don't make '70's models massey Fergusons run better. *grin*

My JD has only spent a handful of nights outside in the 2 and a half years I've had it.

/ Tractor covers for ROPS tractors? #4  
If you are covering a tractor that is still hot be careful you do not get any tarp or other cover in contact with the engine or exhaust system, they can burn.

I would think the biggest area you need to be concerned about is the operators area, if you get a good canopy mounted on the roll bar that helps a good bit but if you were to cover with a tarp and use rubber tie downs to hold in place would be better.

Now one more concern, that will also make a nice area for wild things to hide: snakes, rats, cats, racoons, squirrells, wasps, so open carefully.

/ Tractor covers for ROPS tractors? #5  
If you insist on covering with a tarp, I think leaving the ROPS up and putting a tarp over it would make a good canopy to keep air circulating underneath AND keep most of the tarp off painted surfaces. The worst thing you can do is put a rough tarp on to plastic or painted surfaces and let the wind whip it up, down and around for weeks or months. I put a cover on my BBQ pit on the first one I bought and it rusted out in just a short time. Now I just leave them open to the weather but stored under an open, roofed area. NO more problems with rustout.

The above is why I prefer to park under a shed rather than tarp, that and the rodent issue. Even a cheap shed is better than a tarp. There are portable car enclosures with canvass covers that work good for tractors at less than $500 and for a little more you can get one with metal roof and sides. When properly staked down, they will weather just about any situation. The metal ones will require a concrete foundation for the frame to bolt too, so total cost is a lot more but they are permanent.

/ Tractor covers for ROPS tractors? #6  
Take a look at the RV industry for trailer covers. If you know the dimensions of your tractor, you may find a decent fit with a stock one. Some of these folks make custom covers, so it might be worth a call. Google RV trailer covers as a start.

/ Tractor covers for ROPS tractors?
Thanks all. Will buy a cheap tarp and cut that up as a template to take to a canvas place.

/ Tractor covers for ROPS tractors? #8  
I just use a regular tarp and go through the ROPS over the seat, steering wheel and hood. I use a bungee on the two front corners to my FEL and the rear I spread open and wrap it around my rear wheels then bungee it to my steps. This keeps most of the paint coverer and leaves a pass thru area open for air circulation from the top of the backrest to the floorboard. I let the tractor cool down before I cover it so nothing melts & to keep down condensation.