Another pin on to SSQA Conversion

/ Another pin on to SSQA Conversion #41  
Newbury, are you going to convert to SSQA before you get the grapple?

Most likely, but the path depends on your success. I still need to followup with my Kubota dealer on what EXACTLY he was offering for in a pin-on adapter for $600 and am still wrestling with getting a small grapple for both tractors or a larger one for just the M4700. Converting the B7610 would have to be a custom job, regardless.

/edit - how did you choose the thickness of the plate to go onto the old bucket?

/ Another pin on to SSQA Conversion #42  
Most likely, but the path depends on your success. I still need to followup with my Kubota dealer on what EXACTLY he was offering for in a pin-on adapter for $600 and am still wrestling with getting a small grapple for both tractors or a larger one for just the M4700. Converting the B7610 would have to be a custom job, regardless.

/edit - how did you choose the thickness of the plate to go onto the old bucket?

If this helps any, I paid $400 for the Kubota adaptor delivered to my home. This was for the L3400. Of course I realize prices vary around the country.

/ Another pin on to SSQA Conversion #43  
If this helps any, I paid $400 for the Kubota adaptor delivered to my home. This was for the L3400. Of course I realize prices vary around the country.
If you don't mind me asking -
Was that a standard SSQA (I assume, trust but verify)?
And what year?
thanks

/ Another pin on to SSQA Conversion #45  
If you don't mind me asking -
Was that a standard SSQA (I assume, trust but verify)?
And what year?
thanks

Yes it was a standard SSQA I can't remember the Kubota part number, but it was from Kubota whole goods, and I think the years was 2011. I would have to go back and find my SSQA conversion thread to be sure.
yes, May 2011

/ Another pin on to SSQA Conversion

We'll thanks for putting the pressure on me. Ha ha.

Because the plate is being welded to 1/8 steel bucket I don't think getting anything real heavy is necessary. I would have bought quarter inch if I saw it but didnt. I bought 5/16". Also, they sell full plate and cut out. I got the cut out version.

Mind you, Kubota has a proprietary quick attach on some models but also has SSQA.

Also, if my loader arms were spread more (how much more? I don't know) I would not have had to put the 3x3s inboard and would not have had to do the cut outs for the handle and pins.

Off to the Welder supply now.

I had to get fittings for shielding gas for my welder. Got a few things done. Welded up the H, test fit it on the latches. Then put the ears back on the loader and clamped the H on it. Almost put it on backwards
Lined it up and tack welded it.

Then back in the shop, fitted it up to the latches and quick attach plate. Had to relieve the ears a bit to make room for the springs on the handle.

I couldn't figure out why the wire in my MIG kept burning back. Finally no luck getting wire to advance. Thought the tension was wrong. Checked and found out the wire spool was empty. Ok, good time to quit.

Probably 4 hours today, not counting working on getting the welder set up.

The following pic shows it on backwards. Good thing I caught it before tack welding.

This is better:

Curl test for clearance. A-OK.

Back in shop checking it out, and after clearance the corner of the ears for the spring.

/ Another pin on to SSQA Conversion #48  
Looking good

I got the quick attach all fabbed up. Just put a coat of primer on it. I haven't welded the plate to the bucket yet, but that should go quickly.

This project had some challenges that some of you won't face because of my narrowly spaced fel arms. If I hadn't had to cut out the 3x3s to allow for the movement of the handles and pins, it would have been a snap. I really recommend the method of cutting off the ears from the bucket rather than the extra work of torching the the welds off.

/ Another pin on to SSQA Conversion #50  
Adding that up it comes to about 5.75 hours so far.

I appreciate the effort you are putting into documenting the process. I just got the go ahead from SWMBO on getting a grapple. Pretty soon I'll have $11,000 in attachments for my $11,000 tractor.

I had to get fittings for shielding gas for my welder. Got a few things done. Welded up the H, test fit it on the latches. Then put the ears back on the loader and clamped the H on it. Almost put it on backwards
Lined it up and tack welded it.

Then back in the shop, fitted it up to the latches and quick attach plate. Had to relieve the ears a bit to make room for the springs on the handle.

I couldn't figure out why the wire in my MIG kept burning back. Finally no luck getting wire to advance. Thought the tension was wrong. Checked and found out the wire spool was empty. Ok, good time to quit.

Probably 4 hours today, not counting working on getting the welder set up.
<snip>
So up to about 10 hours so far.
I got the quick attach all fabbed up. Just put a coat of primer on it. I haven't welded the plate to the bucket yet, but that should go quickly.

This project had some challenges that some of you won't face because of my narrowly spaced fel arms. If I hadn't had to cut out the 3x3s to allow for the movement of the handles and pins, it would have been a snap. I really recommend the method of cutting off the ears from the bucket rather than the extra work of torching the the welds off.

Looking good. And remember some of us that are following your progress may have loader arms narrower than yours, such as my B7610 where there is no factory offering.