True 3rd function or diverter valve for grapple?

/ True 3rd function or diverter valve for grapple? #11  
I have the WR Long 3rd function on both tractors and believe it's the best way to go.

I spent about 30 minutes on a friends tractor using one of the rear remotes for operating his grapple lid and it seemed very awkward. May just be what you get used to.

Yeah, it more cost but amortize that over the life of your tractor and it's pretty inexpensive for the added convenience of operating your grapple, tree puller, etc. without taking your hand off of the FEL joystick.

My 2cents worth.

/ True 3rd function or diverter valve for grapple? #12  
I have a diverter on my NH TC45D with the switch affixed to the FEL joy stick to operate my Wuick Attach grapple. The system works pretty well and was light years less expensive than adding a third function valve.
What I learned very quickly is some hand coordination is required and when hitting the diverter switch it's necessary to pause a second or two for the hydraulic pressure to build in the grapple cylinder thus clamping the load securely. In the case of compressible material such as brush it's sometime necessary to depress the diverter switch more than once after the initial load is picked up to insure a tight grasp.
Of all the tools and tractor accessories the grapple is the greatest labor saver especially when processing fire wood logs
B John

/ True 3rd function or diverter valve for grapple? #13  
Try out a thumb switch right on your loader joystick, you might be suprised. Now if there is a neat way to mount an electric switch on it, I might be suprised.:thumbsup:.

So your saying you can't have a nice switch AND use a diverter? :confused: Or am a mis-reading your comment?

I modded a nice joystick handle from a JD110TLB to my tractor before they were widely available like they are today, either UP or DOWN switch activates the diverter, the single switch is for a horn I added. All switched through relays.

DSC05061 (Medium).JPG DSC05064 (Medium).JPG DSC05065 (Medium).JPG

And the diverter kit we sell includes a small momentary switch that is attached to the joystick handle, it can be positioned wherever the user finds it most comfortable.

P1010061 (Small).JPG DValve-Switch (Large).jpg

Edit: Not sure why the two pics aren't showing but they open (here anyway) if the link is clicked.

/ True 3rd function or diverter valve for grapple? #14  
So your saying you can't have a nice switch AND use a diverter? :confused: Or am a mis-reading your comment?

I modded a nice joystick handle from a JD110TLB to my tractor before they were widely available like they are today, either UP or DOWN switch activates the diverter, the single switch is for a horn I added. All switched through relays.

View attachment 456329 View attachment 456330 View attachment 456331

And the diverter kit we sell includes a small momentary switch that is attached to the joystick handle, it can be positioned wherever the user finds it most comfortable.

View attachment 456332 View attachment 456333

Edit: Not sure why the two pics aren't showing but they open (here anyway) if the link is clicked.

ORRRRRR

Attachments

• S-Series%201%20Button%20Red.jpg
    S-Series%201%20Button%20Red.jpg
    250.6 KB · Views: 315
  • S-Series%201%20Button%20Blue.jpg
    S-Series%201%20Button%20Blue.jpg
    249.8 KB · Views: 412
  • S-Series%201%20Button%20Black.jpg
    S-Series%201%20Button%20Black.jpg
    245.7 KB · Views: 686
   / True 3rd function or diverter valve for grapple?
so with the diverter, I'm waiting a second for it to switch and then I use the curl on the stick. With 3rd function I have 2 buttons, open and close in real time, correct?

/ True 3rd function or diverter valve for grapple? #16  
Have a WR Long third function, his kits are easy to install and come with all the parts. Also have 2 rear remotes and for anybody to suggest using a rear remote lever and the loader joystick is crazy, it is so nice to scoop clamp and run with a third function on the grapple. Being able to curl as you grapple allows you to grapple things much heavier and hold them in as you curl then what the grapple clamps can do by themselves. The grapple spends more time on the tractor then the dirt bucket.

David

Attachments

• 20141002_121912.jpg
    20141002_121912.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 440
  • 20141002_121858.jpg
    20141002_121858.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 332
  • L3130Log.jpg
    L3130Log.jpg
    518.1 KB · Views: 1,147
   / True 3rd function or diverter valve for grapple? #17  
I have kennyd's Diverter and the button mounted on the joystick for my thumb. Mine is hooked into the up/down rather than curl because of having regeneration on that circuit.
I like it and it's 2nd nature now and easy to remember which way does what as you "pull" the lid open or "push" the lid shut.
I haven't noticed having to wait a second or so on mine but I don't slam the joystick around in a hurry either.

I still am doing rear remotes in the near future but will stay with the Diverter as is. It works just the way I think it should.

/ True 3rd function or diverter valve for grapple? #18  
People with diverters are going to tell you that they are the best and easy to operate just a people with true 3rd function valves will tell that system is the best. you have the feedback now you need to make a decision, don't listen to me and get the true 3rd function valve, because it's the best way to go, lol.
DevilDog

/ True 3rd function or diverter valve for grapple? #19  
I use my rear remote. Cheap, effective, and works very well. BUT, it helps a bunch that my rear remote valve lever is strategically located just in front of the joystick, and in fact I lengthened it to make it easier to operate while keeping your hand on the joystick. About $150 for the whole shooting match. It is just hoses and connectors. Its quick, its dirty, its cheap. (kinda like me:))

installed 1.jpg
in use.jpg

/ True 3rd function or diverter valve for grapple? #20  
so with the diverter, I'm waiting a second for it to switch and then I use the curl on the stick. With 3rd function I have 2 buttons, open and close in real time, correct?
I have never needed to wait a second, switching is instantaneous. I wish I had a good video-I tried to shoot one in realtime awhile ago but it was an epic failure.