Radio Interference From LED Lights

/ Radio Interference From LED Lights #1  

supertaster

Bronze Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson 35 Diesel, Massey Ferguson 1736 cab Power Shuttle
ImageUploadedByTractorByNet1456108717.015623.jpg

The LED lights I installed interfere with the radio causing static. Has anyone had success with using ferrite core snap on assemblies?
The lights are currently connected using the factory wiring in the cab for the front and rear work lights.

Or, do you have other solutions?ImageUploadedByTractorByNet1456109002.224974.jpg

/ Radio Interference From LED Lights #2  
I've never heard of that problem. Could you just run 2 temporary wires to the lights and see if that would fix it? ?

/ Radio Interference From LED Lights #3  
View attachment 457906

The LED lights I installed interfere with the radio causing static. Has anyone had success with using ferrite core snap on assemblies?
The lights are currently connected using the factory wiring in the cab for the front and rear work lights.

Or, do you have other solutions?View attachment 457907

It is possible it will fix or attenuate the RFI from the lights. It is worth a try. I have used many ferrites on my Ethernet network in my house to attenuate the emissions from the CAT5E cables running from the network switch out to the workstations. The ARRL has many publications on suppressing RFI.

Radio Frequency Interference (RFI)

/ Radio Interference From LED Lights #4  
It is possible it will fix or attenuate the RFI from the lights. It is worth a try. I have used many ferrites on my Ethernet network in my house to attenuate the emissions from the CAT5E cables running from the network switch out to the workstations. The ARRL has many publications on suppressing RFI.

Radio Frequency Interference (RFI)

In a DC powerline situation such as yours , bypassing the lines with capacitors can also be a solution. you might try a .1 uF disk ceramic from positive to chassis. Make sure the voltage rating of the capacitor is 100 volts or higher. Try bypassing as close to the lights as possible. An inline inductor could also help. Or combinations of the above.
There is much to know about RFI, and this medium is too brief to go into it in detail

/ Radio Interference From LED Lights
In a DC powerline situation such as yours , bypassing the lines with capacitors can also be a solution. you might try a .1 uF disk ceramic from positive to chassis. Make sure the voltage rating of the capacitor is 100 volts or higher. Try bypassing as close to the lights as possible. An inline inductor could also help. Or combinations of the above.
There is much to know about RFI, and this medium is too brief to go into it in detail

Hey, thanks for the input. I may order some various sizes of these to see if it helps. I will look into filter capacitors after that.

/ Radio Interference From LED Lights #6  
LEDs themselves shouldn't be causing any RFI at all. I'm sure their power supply that drops the voltage down to the 2.5v or whatever it LEDs want is the issue. Probably indicates cheap design or construction. Personally I'd look at replacing the lights with better quality ones rather than patching up cheap ones that might not last that long anyway.

/ Radio Interference From LED Lights #7  
I tried some LED lights in our 1983 240D. Some did interfere with the radio. They generally didn't work on signal lights either. Only place I could get them to work is on brake lights. Didn't have those on long enough to have much radio interference.

Ralph

/ Radio Interference From LED Lights #8  
Guess we won't have to worry about this when we get the chance to put some LEDs on our tractor - no radio ;)

LEDs themselves shouldn't be causing any RFI at all. I'm sure their power supply that drops the voltage down to the 2.5v or whatever it LEDs want is the issue. Probably indicates cheap design or construction. Personally I'd look at replacing the lights with better quality ones rather than patching up cheap ones that might not last that long anyway.

While there is some logic to that angle, there are several webpages and forum threads revealing that Rigid lights were causing the same effect and they are sold as premium products and premium prices. And it's not exclusive to just them.
I am aware that it's the power supply in the light. I was hoping someone found a solution that didn't require a retrofit of the unit.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Guess we won't have to worry about this when we get the chance to put some LEDs on our tractor - no radio ;)

Haha. True enough. I don't listen much either but I like to hear the news or weather reports while plowing snow or loading the wagon with wood. Otherwise my phone is plugged into the USB jack and I listen to music from there.
Sounds luxurious and it is.
(I spent several decades on a '60s Massey 35. )