LED light install on ROPS using Magnets on NH Tractor

/ LED light install on ROPS using Magnets on NH Tractor #1  

brenth561

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota L3901HST
Finally completed this project and wanted to share my results with the community!

I love using my tractor and since I work a normal day job 8-5 I found myself only being able to complete chores around the house at night. I quickly found them when using the bucket the factory headlights become useless. I was inspired by another thread on here to add lights to my ROPS using magnets.

I first started by running a wire from my battery to the ROPS. I debated whether or not to run the wire on the outside of the ROPS but decided that running it on the inside would make for a quicker install. I did have to drill holes in the ROPS and I realize that this could jeopardize its structural strength but since my land is completely flat, the event of a roll over should be pretty null. I removed the ROPS, cut a grove in the base and then ran the wire up to the top. Once the wires were ran through the ROPS I used these nifty little plugs made by CrazyEve which can be found on Amazon: Amazon.com: CrazyEve 5 Sets 2 Pin Car Waterproof Electrical Connector Plug with Wire Electrical Cable Connector Plug: Automotive

The plugs made install a breeze and will allow me to remove the lights in the event that they fail and need to be replaced or if I want to use my LED light bar instead or switch them to another vehicle. I soldered all connections and then used shrink tubing and wire loom to waterproof the connections. The plugs are sturdy and make a solid connection, while still able to remove quickly if necessary.

I debated and debated on which lights to get and pulled the trigger on these: Amazon.com: Signstek 2*27W Flood Light Headlight Work Light Lamp off Road High Power ATV Jeep 4x4 Tractor Truck Light Fog Driving Bar Rree Truck SUV Car Waterproof Dustproof Shockproof: Automotive
They are 27W LED flood lights with 9 LEDS. They are incredibly bright. There are so many choices when it comes to lights and I read countless reviews. Originally I wanted to go with a light bar but I wanted the ability to move the lights in the direction of my work site. I purchased four of these with the intentions to have 2 facing forward and 2 facing the rear.

Using the idea of another member on here, I decided that mounting these with magents would be ideal. No drilling, and I can move them anyway I want. I started with the larger mount as shown in the picture. When using these, I was not able to pull the lights off very easily but they were wider than my ROPS and when I would catch a branch they would easily slide off. I searched and found these Neodymium Round Base Magnets made by CMS magnetics CMS Magnetics(R) 112 LBS Holding Power 1.57" Neodymium Round Base Magnet w/ Countersunk Hole - 1 Ct.: Lift Magnets: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

Using a few spare washers and small flat head screws I was able to connect the mounts to the magnets. These magnets are half the size and probably three times as powerful as the larger magnets I was using. It is extremely hard to pull or even slide the lights when they are mounted to the ROPS. My pasture is very bumpy and the lights fell off using the larger magnets but with the CMS magents they dont even budge. They are also the perfect fit on the ROPS.

The switch I used is a Marine Rocker switch made by Iztoss Amazon.com : Iztoss 2A 12V 1A 24V ON-OFF 3pins Rocker Switch Panel Auto/Marine Boat RV with Jumper Wire and 4 Switches Housing holder (Multi Color) : Sports & Outdoors
This switch is made of a durable hard plastic and has an indicator light for on/off and almost looks factory on my NH.

/ LED light install on ROPS using Magnets on NH Tractor #2  
Nice! You also followed the unwritten rule of posting pictures, looking good. :thumbsup:

/ LED light install on ROPS using Magnets on NH Tractor #3  
Nice. LEDs are starting to come way down in price.

/ LED light install on ROPS using Magnets on NH Tractor #4  
Very nice and clean installation. That mounting position didn't work for me. Lights mounted behind me created way too much reflection - especially when I turned my head - because I wear glasses.

/ LED light install on ROPS using Magnets on NH Tractor
Very nice and clean installation. That mounting position didn't work for me. Lights mounted behind me created way too much reflection - especially when I turned my head - because I wear glasses.

You Are right about that. Not really any better place to mount them yet. I am considering putting them on the sides of the tower brace and see it that helps.

/ LED light install on ROPS using Magnets on NH Tractor #6  
I have the exact same magnets, and plan on doing the same thing on my Kubota.... cool to see it done in similar fashion, thanks for reminding me I need to finish the project!

/ LED light install on ROPS using Magnets on NH Tractor #7  
Neat job. Great write up. I like how clean the wiring is. Thinking of doing the same but I'm struggling with paying more for the magnets than the lights.