Very high engine oil level

/ Very high engine oil level #1  

GordNovo

Silver Member
While out fishing yesterday i get a text from the missus who's out on the 2520 cutting grass and such. She tells me she hears some weird clank sound followed by some loud clicking sounds and the tractor begins puffing heavy smoke. She turns it off immediately.

I check the oil this am and notice the oil level is very high, like 3" above the fill line. It's not milky.. and it has a very light viscosity. also, it does not have a diesel smell. There's no sign of hyd fluid in the site window, but that's not unusual. it often fluctuates out of site. My guess it seems like tranny fluid has made it into the engine. I'm no mechanic but my guess is a main seal between engine and tranny has gone bad.

Does anyone have any experience with such a situation or have an idea on diagnosis? I did a search on the forum and nothing similar came up.

i'm guessing the repairs will be very extensive due to having to split the tractor to get to the seal and possibly repair any piston damage that may have occurred. ugh...

thanks everyone...

/ Very high engine oil level #2  
Sounds more like the hydraulic pump went bad if it has hydraulic fluid in the engine.

/ Very high engine oil level #3  
Or more likely the injection pump has a failed seal since you say it smells like diesel.

/ Very high engine oil level #4  

I check the oil this am and notice the oil level is very high, like 3" above the fill line. It's not milky.. and it has a very light viscosity. also, it does not have a diesel smell. There's no sign of hyd fluid in the site window, but that's not unusual. it often fluctuates out of site. My guess it seems like tranny fluid has made it into the engine. I'm no mechanic but my guess is a main seal between engine and tranny has gone bad. .

/ Very high engine oil level #5  
I cannot detect by smell any difference between diesel contaminated and uncontaminated engine oil. Could be as per post #3 or faulty injectors constantly dribbling fuel. My understanding is that biodiesel fuel is more likely to build up in engine oil than normal diesel because it does not evaporate.

/ Very high engine oil level #6  
Just a guess here, and a question. How long does it take oil and water to separate?

/ Very high engine oil level
update: I drained 4 litres of hyd fluid from engine today just to bring it back to normal range. my hydraulic pump has been leaking for a while now.. i've been neglecting it for a while but i guess it finally caught up with me...

I'll look into a seal kit for the pump. is a pump kit hard to do?

thanks guys..

/ Very high engine oil level #8  
Just a guess here, and a question. How long does it take oil and water to separate?

Apparently if it's emulsified it won't separate. It emulsifies at about .02 % if I haven't blown my math.
Oil becomes cloudy when it's contaminated with water above its saturation level. The saturation level is the amount of water that can dissolve in the oil's molecular chemistry and is typically 200 to 300 ppm at 68°F (20°C) for mineral hydraulic oil.

Note that if hydraulic oil is cloudy it indicates that a minimum of 200 - 300 ppm of water is present. I recently audited a hydraulic system with cloudy oil that was found to contain greater than 1% (10,000 ppm) water!
from One Simple Way To Remove Water From Hydraulic Oil | Hydraulics At Work

/ Very high engine oil level #9  
Fuel could have been filling the crankcase. I shut my fuel tank off every use , and check oil before starting.

/ Very high engine oil level #10  
We had a problem with "oil level getting too high" - it was the injector pump allowing fuel to bypass into the crankcase.

We located a certified rebuilder somewhat local who had the expertise and the right price. The oil level is just where it should be now.