Mowers aren't just for men

/ Mowers aren't just for men #1  

woodlandfarms

Tractor
PowerTrac 1850, Kubota RTV x900
So 5 years ago we bought a Craftsman 5000 54" mower used for the wife. Dark green. She wanted to mow, wanted her own machine and we could not afford the SCUT I wanted to get her. Within a week there was a large tinkerbell decal on the hood of the tractor. Fair enough, its not mine.

Last month one of the mower spindles gave up the ghost. Very proudly my wife said she wanted to rebuild it on her own (well, it never is that way but for the most part she did the tear down on her own). But parts were back ordered, so she asked me if it made sense to put a fresh coat of paint on the deck. I said sure, your choide. So I showed her how to use the sandblaster (Pressure Washer Sand Blaster) and how to use the air gun for painting. Handed her a can of primer and a can of black and said see ya later.

3 Days later no sign of the wife. So I stumble out to the shop and, well, there she is smiling broadly.

Attachments

• IMG_2900.jpg
    IMG_2900.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 446
  • IMG_2901.jpg
    IMG_2901.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 256
  • IMG_2902.jpg
    IMG_2902.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 244
  • IMG_2910.jpg
    IMG_2910.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 197
  • IMG_2913.jpg
    IMG_2913.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 251
   / Mowers aren't just for men #2  
Wow, that is impressive! I like it a lot.

/ Mowers aren't just for men #3  
She did a great job!

If you can't get the parts from Sears search ebay for the part numbers. You will have them in a few days at a fraction of the cost off ebay usually. Just rebuilt the deck on my ZTS7500 Craftsman and all came off the auction site. They don't sell assemblies for mine. Had to buy all the parts and assemble.

The problem with Sears is they won't cancel an order that has been open for 24 hours but you can return the parts for full refund after they arrive, if they arrive. They hung me up for a couple of weeks a while back then finally canceled my order that they wouldn't let ME cancel. It's okay for them to do it but not the customer.

/ Mowers aren't just for men
We went to Jacks Small who had everything we needed. Good guys. Nope, will never deal with Sears. Once a bastion of integrity, now a sad derelict of a department store.

/ Mowers aren't just for men #6  
Don't scratch it during the reassembly process or you will be in the dog house...

/ Mowers aren't just for men #7  
Nice...very nicely done, your bride may be on to new idea.

/ Mowers aren't just for men #8  
Better have her clear coat it to:thumbsup: Are the wheels next?

/ Mowers aren't just for men
She put clearcoat on it as well, and please, don't give her any ideas.

/ Mowers aren't just for men #10  
Nice work!

Before we got married, my wife used to do all of the mowing at her farm (I lived in a small town about 10 miles away then), about 2-1/2 acres of grass. She did it for many years with a self-propelled push mower. Once she bought a rider, she was hooked as a mower junkie. She has since bought two riders and a zero turn. Did all of her own research and made sure she got what she wanted. She hasn't painted one, though. To her, they're just tools to manage the grass and haul stuff around the property.

I'm not going to show her this thread, though. She was an art major in high school.