My Wicked Grapple bush grabber attachment

/ My Wicked Grapple bush grabber attachment #11  
To a point. But his grapple not only traps the brush in the angled slot but he has a lid and tooth that comes in behind the brush/sapling that will hold it in the slot with pressure. A double whammy.
Bingo ... ;)

/ My Wicked Grapple bush grabber attachment
If your flat surfaces need more grip you could lay several welds right down it such that they "bite" together (interlock).

I was thinking about doing that very thing.

I didn't work on the project yesterday, and may not have any time today either as I have appointments today. But I need to get it finished up before Oct, as that is our busy season with what is known as the AEP or Annual Enrollment Period for Medicare Advantage plans.

But I am also eager to get it done and tried out to see if this is a waste of steel and time or whether I have a viable idea here or not.

/ My Wicked Grapple bush grabber attachment #13  
   / My Wicked Grapple bush grabber attachment #14  
Rswyan, interesting approach. Do you have any problems with stringy stuff jamming between the plates so tight you have trouble clearing it?
Very rarely ... generally, all I have to do is roll the grapple back all the way and then drag it on the ground in reverse to loosen/remove anything that's stuck.

(James - sorry, didn't to hijack your thread :eek:)

/ My Wicked Grapple bush grabber attachment #16  
:thumbsup: Looking good.

Good job posting the pictures.

So far I am out $0. As this is recovered scrap I had laying around. I think I am going to bolt on the upper piece with some 1/2 inch bolts. I think I am going to need to buy them and some nuts. Again my goal is to do zero modifications to the original grapple and make this a simple project that anyone could do. Of course the thing might not work very well or even at all. It is all pretty much an experiment at this point.

Went out this afternoon, and burnt 3 rods, and got the stiffening spine put on the lower "jaw". and it started to rain. Crap..Had to drag everything inside in a hurry...

Finished this project up about 1/2 hour ago. Man-O-Man does this thing work. Yes it does. Plucked out several saplings and even a couple of little overhead limbs that were hanging down in the way, and pulled one grape vine out of a tree. So far I am very impressed with it's usefulness. I still need to round off some corners and paint it, but it is a working model. I wonder why I did not build it sooner.

Here are some pictures. The steel "chip" on the tackle box is an example of how you can make chip with a 1/2 inch bit drill if it is sharp and you apply the right lube and pressure in your drill press.:)

There is a before and after photo of one of the little saplings I yanked, it took about 10 seconds to get set up with the tractor (hydrostat helps) and yank it out of the ground. Love this thing!

View attachment IMG_20160917_154612003.jpg
View attachment IMG_20160917_155645722_HDR.jpg
View attachment IMG_20160917_175337951_HDR.jpg
View attachment IMG_20160917_175439371.jpg
View attachment IMG_20160917_175544955.jpg
View attachment IMG_20160917_180100323.jpg
View attachment IMG_20160917_180847898.jpg

/ My Wicked Grapple bush grabber attachment #20  
Good deal ... and nice chip ! :thumbsup: