Finally got my bucket hooks on the Kubota BX!

/ Finally got my bucket hooks on the Kubota BX! #11  
Not to detract from a great installation and or add any negative vibes to the thread...But obviously compact tractors are not bulldozers...I have a 17HP B series with an LA 301 FEL...I have been hesitant to use the loader for more than it's basic intended uses...I am afraid I will rack the loader trying to use it like most do with bigger machines....just curious if anyone has damaged a loader on smaller (b series, BX, etc.) machines by trying to move something with hooks/chains on the FEL that was too much of a load or an unbalanced load??

The hydraulic system has a built in pressure relief to protect itself, try to lift something to heavy and it will just bypass and not move. Sure if you abuse the FEL by pulling/jerking sideways or backdragging with the bucket fully extended you can do damage but this happens pretty rare-at least they are not reported here on TBN or other forums often.

/ Finally got my bucket hooks on the Kubota BX! #12  
I really like the job you did on the hooks, looks good. I see you put the bucket level indicator back on, good move, I find mine really useful. Wish I could weld like that.

/ Finally got my bucket hooks on the Kubota BX! #13  
Looks like nice welding. Next time protect the exposed rod on the hydraulic cylinder, especially when grinding. You don't want to pit that or get weld spatter on it and cause the seal to fail from skipping that one step! You really didn't need 3/8" as that is waaay too heavy for that loader. Even 5/16" is way bigger than you need. That heavy chain takes away from your load capacity some too. With small equipment you need to be careful not to overdo stuff like that or you lose too much capacity. But chain hooks are super handy on a loader. :thumbsup:

/ Finally got my bucket hooks on the Kubota BX!
Looks like nice welding. Next time protect the exposed rod on the hydraulic cylinder, especially when grinding. You don't want to pit that or get weld spatter on it and cause the seal to fail from skipping that one step! You really didn't need 3/8" as that is waaay too heavy for that loader. Even 5/16" is way bigger than you need. That heavy chain takes away from your load capacity some too. With small equipment you need to be careful not to overdo stuff like that or you lose too much capacity. But chain hooks are super handy on a loader. :thumbsup:

Fully agree on covering the cylinder rod. I didn't even think of it.

I disagree on what size hooks to use. With the 3/8", I can just grab a chain. Sure, using a heavier chain will take away from the overall lift capacity. Most of my uses will be holding the load on or in the bucket. I really don't want to be maxing my tractor out so much that I need to focus on lightweight chain, to get something off the ground. If it's close, I might favor the lightweight chain, but that will be the exception, not the rule.

Of course, to each their own.

/ Finally got my bucket hooks on the Kubota BX! #15  
5/16 grab hooks will grab 3/8, 5/16, and 1/4 inch chains.

/ Finally got my bucket hooks on the Kubota BX! #16  
   / Finally got my bucket hooks on the Kubota BX! #17  
5/16 grab hooks will grab 3/8, 5/16, and 1/4 inch chains.

Yes they will but there is nothing at all wrong with 3/8" and they are stronger and will grab 5/16" chain fine. You can break 1/4" chain with a compact tractor I have done it yanking out concreted in fence posts. I know the WLL of 1/4" exceeds the lift capacity of the loader but the links are tiny and easily damaged. I don't like 1/4" chain for that reason. 5/16" is plenty light and easy to handle.

/ Finally got my bucket hooks on the Kubota BX! #18  
I see the point but what is the lift rating of any BX? It can't even be 800 lbs. My L5240 FEL can do 2000 or so, and the BX is way lighter designed. As the OP said, "to each their own" but I don't see the value in putting 3/8" hooks on something that can't even break 1/4" chain. Make your life easier and weld on hooks that are much closer in thickness to your bucket than 3/8" ones are. I welded on 3/8" hooks on mine, but I use 3/8 and 5/16 chain for all my needs. It fits the task and equipment. I avoid the 3/8" chain like the plague as it is so heavy, but sometimes you need it. No way a BX can ever "need" 3/8". Your tractor, your call, but it seems to be making your life more difficult in the long run. If it works for you, go for it!

/ Finally got my bucket hooks on the Kubota BX! #19  
I've got two 20 foot 3/8 chains that my dad bought for some unknown reason. I hate dragging those around. As far as loosing capacity that's pretty silly. Bump up the pressure 5 psi to overcome that.

/ Finally got my bucket hooks on the Kubota BX! #20  
Not to detract from a great installation and or add any negative vibes to the thread...But obviously compact tractors are not bulldozers...I have a 17HP B series with an LA 301 FEL...I have been hesitant to use the loader for more than it's basic intended uses...I am afraid I will rack the loader trying to use it like most do with bigger machines....just curious if anyone has damaged a loader on smaller (b series, BX, etc.) machines by trying to move something with hooks/chains on the FEL that was too much of a load or an unbalanced load??
Agreed... nice welds and well done!

Slash... I have been beating the crap out of my FEL bucket trying to lift and move stumps that must be close to 1000lbs using my BXpanded bucket hooks and chain. Just noticed the other day I did end up bending my bucket side. These 'snap' on bucket hooks work remarkably well.

IMG_8565.jpg IMG_8568.jpg