Tool Box for CT 235 - 40MM ammo Can?

/ Tool Box for CT 235 - 40MM ammo Can? #1  

powerscol

Veteran Member
Tractor
CT 235
After reading a lot of threads and looking at a lot of good jobs, I am wanting to replace the little plastic tool box on my Bobcat CT 235. I'm tired of things not fitting and getting wet and bouncing out and getting lost. I have a tight area behind the seat between the ROPS and back of seat. I also have a low speed warning placard and rear work light to fit around. I can remove my seat back manual holder to get more room, but its handy to have the manual available in the field - I also know exactly where it is.

Now the tough spot. The area a box/can can fit is 21 inches wide, 7 inches deep (toward seat) If I stay within this footprint, height should not be an issue. I have looked at every tool box HD carries and a few will fit, but I want to try and get the max size I can. A 40MM ammo can at 17x6.5x10.5 is perfect, but I have ZERO outlets around me.

Anyone know of a reliable online source. I dont want to spend and get a rusty dented POS. Does anyone know of a good tool box place that might have a better selection of skinny, long, tall units.

MY only other option I can see is to use some angle and span between the ROPS legs and mount the box higher. I would probably put an angle on both sides of the ROPS to give a wider mounting base.Then my choices of boxes opens up. I have one that will work. I am concerned with drilling the ROPS and having it still be strong. If I go this way, how big of bolts should I use. Last I would probably need some sort of tray for the tool box to sit on / mount to. Thoughts for sources on that, and should I use steel or aluminum angle. A C channel would also work if I can find one to cut and fit around the ROPS. I dont have a welder, so that option is out for now.

Thanks for any help with this
Keith

/ Tool Box for CT 235 - 40MM ammo Can? #2  
I just replaced mine with this one.
Ammo Box

Seems to work fine

/ Tool Box for CT 235 - 40MM ammo Can?
Thanks

/ Tool Box for CT 235 - 40MM ammo Can? #4  
I've not had very good luck with the supposed "moisture resistance of these types of boxes (from either Harbor Freight or from Northern Tool). Stuff stored in them is always a bit wet after a rain, even if the lid was latched shut. Have others had problems with this?

/ Tool Box for CT 235 - 40MM ammo Can? #7  
20160921_092927.jpg
My simple one from mil .50cal can. I put fender washers on the inside, rattles a little, but not bad. Don't hear it over the motor. Would prob put a full length stiffening 1/4"x2" plate in place of the fender washers would help a lot, but it hasn't messed up yet.

That set up looks great.

Quadratec makes a shelf to fit the rear door of a jeep I thought of getting and cutting to mount to the ROPS or side of my loader arm support as others have done, then I ran across these folks and their box and mounts. ROPS Mounted Tool Box But after checking the length of some of the tools I want to carry, their box was not big enough. Also as it is for a BX I was not sure of the ROPS size.

Once I get my box Ill post pictures of the install.

/ Tool Box for CT 235 - 40MM ammo Can? #9  
20160921_095410.jpg

Here's the junk I carry in mine. Small round tin has plug/inflation kit in it. It's "full", but it all fits. I'm not usually very far from my truck, or I'd have put a larger one on as well.
I plan on adding an expanded metal panel across the ROPS, and will have a rear bar to mount a larger box more firmly at that time.

View attachment 485296

Here's the junk I carry in mine. Small round tin has plug/inflation kit in it. It's "full", but it all fits. I'm not usually very far from my truck, or I'd have put a larger one on as well.
I plan on adding an expanded metal panel across the ROPS, and will have a rear bar to mount a larger box more firmly at that time.

I carry about the same, but I have a large crescent wrench and monkey wrench for connecting up the baler - large bolt. Also a can of WD 40, a small role of bailing wire, role of duct tape, small grease gun, and one 10' 5/16 chain. I probably carry too much stuff and should leave some on the tool shelf, but with my senior moments, I would get out to the equipment yard and forget to tool up and need to walk back to the shop. Probably do this twice as I always forget to get one item. :confused3::confused2::laughing: