JD 3005 exhaust mods/replacement

/ JD 3005 exhaust mods/replacement #21  
No, it won't...Yanmar engines (I've had three Yanmar powered Deeres) do tend to run cool...great starting in cold weather though! I'd still recommend a block heater though..just easier on the engine.

Anything below 50 degrees and I have to cycle the Glow Plugs 2 or 3 times on the JD2210. Very picky.

/ JD 3005 exhaust mods/replacement
I dont have a block heater on my tractor, though I would like to have one. I use the ones on our diesel trucks any time its below freezing. Its much easier on the whole system being warm on start up, and nearly instant heat from the dash vents is a nice bonus!

The few times I've HAD to start my tractor when its been in the single digets, it has fired up ok... Rough running, but started. Not much must be done when its that cold, other than stay inside where its warm!

/ JD 3005 exhaust mods/replacement #23  
I dont have a block heater on my tractor, though I would like to have one. I use the ones on our diesel trucks any time its below freezing. Its much easier on the whole system being warm on start up, and nearly instant heat from the dash vents is a nice bonus!

The few times I've HAD to start my tractor when its been in the single digets, it has fired up ok... Rough running, but started. Not much must be done when its that cold, other than stay inside where its warm!

Totally agree!!!!

/ JD 3005 exhaust mods/replacement #24  
I did something similar and used a dragster exhaust mandrel bend pipe. It fit and looked perfect, cost under $20 and was a perfect bend as sharp as your potential bend. I think I bought it a Summit Racing. If it could take a couple thousand horsepower (or whatever) four inches from the head, it could take my 30 HP tractor.

Just for chuckles, here's my leftover piece of dragster, mandrel bent tubing. I discovered it slipped tightly over the end of my exhaust stack end where the prior owner cut it off to affix a rain cap flapper (!). The replacement cost of a new ($10 value) OEM exhaust stack was almost $200--- :eek: --- and my leftover piece of dragster tubing maybe $8. It was a no brainer plus it looks like it "belongs", looks OEM and was delivered free of shipping charges.

IMG_5450.JPG

IMG_5449.JPG

If the photo is sideways, it beats me. At least it didn't double post.

Last edited:
A little closer...

/ JD 3005 exhaust mods/replacement #26  
Where the He** did you learn how to weld??? :p

Nice, very nice!!!!

Thanks... Mostly self taught, with lots of questions asked and good advice given of truly good welders. Im good at holding metal together, but Im no welder!

/ JD 3005 exhaust mods/replacement #28  
Thanks... Mostly self taught, with lots of questions asked and good advice given of truly good welders. Im good at holding metal together, but Im no welder!

Me too Greg. Well stated. :)

/ JD 3005 exhaust mods/replacement #29  
However... Im doing this low-buck... Im using 1.5" scd 40 pipe and EMT conduit that I have on hand. .

Ha ha, we must be lost brothers, I have run a "long sweep" 90* emt on my last 3 7.3 PSD. I remove the tailpipe at the joint under the cab and turn it out just in front of the rear wheel. Hillbilly deluxe performance exhaust. The turbo sing's a beautiful song with this cheap set up, and it last's for years. But it's prolly a little cooler (longer) than your tractor situation.:thumbsup:

Rusty, I see you have also found that 3" EMT is a perfect diameter match to the stock 3.5" exhaust on our trusty old 7.3's! I used a 90° out in front of the reat wheel on my mud truck, but wanted to keep soot off the wheel on my street trucks, so I kept the tail pipe coming out the rear, deleting the muffler.