Tiller "trash guards"

/ Tiller "trash guards" #1  

spruce Deere

Veteran Member
Tractor
John Deere 790 with loader LS xr3140h also with loader plus a cab
Put this up in parts and repairs... Thought I would put it here also

Bought a new KK 60 inch tiller I am very pleased of the build, design and performance. But the Brand new KK lacked something my near 40 year old maletti had, Some extra metal that protect the tiller bottom output seal from damage, oil loss and emanate repairs.

For a lack of a better name, I call them trash guards. I have never had to re seal the maletti tiller and i have had the junk wrapped around this one a time or two:rolleyes:

So I fashioned up some for the new KK give it a go in some alfalfa and nothing made it close to the output seal on the gearbox:D

Attachments

• new trash guards.png
    new trash guards.png
    615.1 KB · Views: 480
  • tiller trash guards.png
    tiller trash guards.png
    799.9 KB · Views: 482
   / Tiller "trash guards"
Thanks DaveOmak:D

Ideas with and/or experience like this is what makes TBN a good thing.

Some folks claim there higher dollar tillers don't wrap and tangle stuffs up on this part of the tiller, even commercially operated. They must constantly have tiller heaven conditions No twine, vines, roots, plants and such:)

Like most things its timing and good prep work before the act of tilling happens that saves a lot of wrapping and tangling. Simple guards like these are just like the prep work before tilling, ounce of prevention= pound of cure

/ Tiller "trash guards" #4  
Thanks DaveOmak:D

Ideas with and/or experience like this is what makes TBN a good thing.

Some folks claim there higher dollar tillers don't wrap and tangle stuffs up on this part of the tiller, even commercially operated. They must constantly have tiller heaven conditions No twine, vines, roots, plants and such:)

Like most things its timing and good prep work before the act of tilling happens that saves a lot of wrapping and tangling. Simple guards like these are just like the prep work before tilling, ounce of prevention= pound of cure
Geee, is that a back handed insult at me? lol

IF you had read what I said, instead of what you want to read, you would already know, I never said "nothing" will ever get wound up in my rovators.

BUT, I can tell you, they ARE designed so nothing can wrap and get into the seals or bearings...

YES mine did cost more, but they don't need these "new tiller fixes" either, as you are paying for a better design in the first place....

Different strokes for different folks...

SR

/ Tiller "trash guards"
No nasty intended, members bangdrums about commercial operation, equipment brands. We are all proud to own an operate what we have.

I also commercially operate not to the point of having every day grind but seasonally, with the brands I have or implements I have built or modified for the better or spacific task.

Yes indeed, different strokes for different stokes:thumbsup:

/ Tiller "trash guards" #6  
I posted these pics on the other thread, but they apply here as well.

I toured the local Farm/Home lot couple days ago looking at their KK tillers. They had a 5' KK and a 6" KKII. Neither had any sort of guard. Not sure what that's all about.

Here's my 11 year old KKII tiller's guards.

20161209_121642 (1280x720).jpg

20161209_121655 (1280x720).jpg

/ Tiller "trash guards" #7  
Geee, is that a back handed insult at me? lol

IF you had read what I said, instead of what you want to read, you would already know, I never said "nothing" will ever get wound up in my rovators.

BUT, I can tell you, they ARE designed so nothing can wrap and get into the seals or bearings...

YES mine did cost more, but they don't need these "new tiller fixes" either, as you are paying for a better design in the first place....

Different strokes for different folks...

SR

Post some pics of your tiller Rob. Might be very informative.

Also post a pic of the type of terrain you are tilling that doesn't wrap.

Thanks.

/ Tiller "trash guards"
Thanks ovrszd for the pics:cool: Makes me wonder why KK did away with the guards on the tine shaft...

I see the bearing side has guards too.... I just might be inspired to put some over the bearing side now on my KK:D

11 years and the KK tiller looks to be in good shape, must be the trash guards....:laughing:

/ Tiller "trash guards" #9  
Not sure how much use it's saw. Pretty sure it hasn't had any repairs done and the seals are good.

It's tilled the occasional rock from looking at the pimples in the top shield. :)

/ Tiller "trash guards" #10  
Never heard of this before now I'm going to put them on my tiller and flail. TY for the post.