Installing brakes on an old liquid manure spreader

/ Installing brakes on an old liquid manure spreader #11  
Those are some huge axles- it might be hard finding drum type hubs for those. Are the holes in the back of the hubs threaded? If so, then it was likely made with the option to bolt on a drum.

I am a bit puzzled. Drum could be custom drilled to fit the hub, but would probably need to be customized to fit over the flange where the C dimension is. The problem is how to mount the backing plate and bake hardware. They would need to be welded to the axle stub A that is very long. The welds around that axle stub would be under huge stresses. Makes me wonder if Dexter might have a better solution - might require changing wheels and rim though along with the axle stub potion A outside of the walking beam. Another source might be some old military style equipment, but most of that stuff was air driven. Have you searched Houle parts? This site shows auto brakes available NEW 216 GEA Houle 73 - Stutsmans Do a brake search. Also here - look under key features Semi-Rigid Trailer - TR48 Series Good luck.

Last edited:
   / Installing brakes on an old liquid manure spreader
I found a dealer that was able to identify the houle trailer and he gave me a parts list for the optional brakes. I did not think that I would be able to get anybody around here that would be able to identify it. A little pricey but I think that is the way to go. It will probably be the safest.

/ Installing brakes on an old liquid manure spreader #13  
A little pricey but I think that is the way to go. It will probably be the safest.
Yes and yes. If it's basically a bolt-on kit, totally worth it.