Flood ONLY LEDs?

/ Flood ONLY LEDs? #11  
You may want to look at trapezoid lights. It is between flood and spot. I like them on front of tractor and not spot as they give further distance than flood and wider than spot. Like flood on rear of tractor but they do not give the distance for front I want. You need to be able to see far enough to know the direction you are heading.

/ Flood ONLY LEDs?
At the moment, I will be putting (ordered with intent) to put a 39" lightbar under the overhang of my cab, on the front. Then, 2 floods along the side and 2 floods to the back. I want to insure I have adequate coverage to be pulling a 15ft batwing along fence that I will have hopefully just installed. And I don't want to tear it up.

And while I have relatively mild rolling land, there are areas that I have to be careful around, and I don't want them to sneak up on me at midnight.

This weekend might be the perfect weekend to add the lights, as it is crappy weather right now which will likely keep me out of the pastures.

/ Flood ONLY LEDs? #13  
Once you get the LED's you won't even turn on those silly yellow halogens!
I have two 4" square LED's on the front of my Jeep, I will take them over the headlights any day. They are 27 watt floods. Too bad they aren't legal on the road. On the trail I don't even turn on the headlights until I hit the highway. At the prices you can get the light bars for now you can't go wrong.

/ Flood ONLY LEDs?
Well, to say I'm disappointed would be an understatement.

I put on a single 36W LED on the back to compare against the stock lights and tried then out tonight.

Not only was the output about the same as the stock light... but turning the lights on completely obliterated the radio signal. I've since read about some LED lights creating massive interference with radios. It is associated with the AC to DC conversion requirements associated with unshielded components. Apparently many less expensive or less well made, LEDs have unshielded components which cause this problem.

LED lamps interfering with radio transmissions – LeapFrogLighting

I'm sending these Nilight floods and 39 inch bar back. I've read that Cree bulbs don't have the same issues, so I'm going to give it a try. But, I'm VERY disappointed in the light output. I'd expected much more than my standard lights, but I think they are equal in output at best. Perhaps they are just cheap in all ways, but I'd espected more. I'd recommend staying away from Nilight brand as they don't step up to what I would expect given the stock halogens I have in comparison.

/ Flood ONLY LEDs? #15  
Your tractor does not have AC power (other than inside the alternator), so there is no AC to DC conversion happening in your lights.

Aaron Z

/ Flood ONLY LEDs?
Your tractor does not have AC power (other than inside the alternator), so there is no AC to DC conversion happening in your lights.

Aaron Z

You know... that's so obvious, I didn't even think. So frustrated, when I read the article I assumed that was the cause. But you're obviously correct, NO AC. Now, I still have to figure out why the lights are causing the interference. I know they can, but don't know what to do about it.

/ Flood ONLY LEDs? #17  
I have no experience with your particular lights but do have experience with various types of LEDs in the home and on 12VDC vehicles. I can't imagine a 39" light bar in general to NOT have more light output than standard, non LED lights in this circumstance, unless your standard light outputs are not typical of my experiences and were high lumen versions from the factory. Maybe you could specifically define your current/stock lights and the characteristics of the 39" light bar. I have a 22" LED light bar (do not recall the watts/lumens) on my Polaris UTV that is a mixture of flood and spot LEDs and it lights up the night in front of my vehicle at a far lower current value and physical size than other light types that could have been used. Same thing with individual 24 watt and 40 watt flood LEDs on my tractor.

I do not have an AM/FM radio in my tractor or UTV that have optional LEDs so can't comment on the interference aspect with those radio signals. But all of the LED Interference links I have viewed on the Internet deal with AC powered light bulbs- say in standard home/business wiring and not battery operated DC devices. CB and FRS radios seem to work fine around 12VDC LED sources in my experience.

My guess is your problem is mainly due to an inexpensive, poorly designed and constructed device.

/ Flood ONLY LEDs?
I have only installed a single BACK flood. That's when the radio went out, and I stopped. I suspect a bar in front would have more light.

I was only comparing the flood to the OEM flood.

/ Flood ONLY LEDs? #19  
I have only installed a single BACK flood. That's when the radio went out, and I stopped. I suspect a bar in front would have more light.

I was only comparing the flood to the OEM flood.

But HOW did you compare? Did you measure the output with a meter or just "eyeball it"?

If you have a smartphone, install an app and get some numbers.