thumb for Kubota B21 w BT751 hoe

/ thumb for Kubota B21 w BT751 hoe #2  
I installed a Kubota thumb from BH 76 backhoe on my B21. Fits perfect. The thumb was about $400 and the longer pin was about $35. Can be set up either fixed or hydraulic.

/ thumb for Kubota B21 w BT751 hoe
I installed a Kubota thumb from BH 76 backhoe on my B21. Fits perfect. The thumb was about $400 and the longer pin was about $35. Can be set up either fixed or hydraulic.

Do you happen to have part numbers?

Is it a weld on?

I guess if going hydraulic, I'd have to fabricate a top bracket for the cylinder? Did you go that way? If so, any questions about the pin strength? I've read some worry about that.

/ thumb for Kubota B21 w BT751 hoe #4  
The Messick's tractor website is very useful you can study the BH76 assembly and get the numbers etc. I did hydraulic and used Kubota 25mm pins no issues.

/ thumb for Kubota B21 w BT751 hoe #5  
The Messick's tractor website is very useful you can study the BH76 assembly and get the numbers etc. I did hydraulic and used Kubota 25mm pins no issues.

I did find a kit number BH1976 and a diagram of the parts breakdown. I guess I'll need to call a Messick or another dealer, to find out price totals, as it is not clear if it ordered as a kit or individual parts.

Since the B21 does not have the bracket on the arm, you must have fabricated one? What hydraulic cylinder did you use, as the one shown seems to be strictly manual?

/ thumb for Kubota B21 w BT751 hoe #7  
On cylinder mount etc check dfkrug thread Custom Hydraulic Backhoe Thumb. Important info. My build thread was B21 Backhoe Thumb. All details there. There are some other thumb threads also out there.

On cylinder mount etc check dfkrug thread Custom Hydraulic Backhoe Thumb. Important info. My build thread was B21 Backhoe Thumb. All details there. There are some other thumb threads also out there.

Oh, very nice, I just skimmed through the thread. I actually found that thread earlier, before posting this one, but stopped when I got the the concerns about the pin strength. Bigger project than I had expected, but now that I am, more or less, retired, I may have the time. I suspect you have a pretty fair machine shop to machine some of those pieces? I have welder, plasma cutter, drill press, etc, but no good lathe or milling machine.

/ thumb for Kubota B21 w BT751 hoe #9  
Yep I was thinking about pin strength but turned out to be a non issue in this case.

I used a lathe to make the progressive linkage pins but if you do the more common and perfectly functional straight linkage don't need that.

Factory Kubota pins for bucket rod end and base end will do the job.

/ thumb for Kubota B21 w BT751 hoe #10  
If you do straight linkage only thing to fabricate is the base cyl mount which is easy with the tools you have.