Simple & Inexpensive FEL Bucket Level Indicator

/ Simple & Inexpensive FEL Bucket Level Indicator #1  

BatesBunch

Tractor
Kubota B2320HSD; Prior/Sold Tractors: Yanmar YM1500D (Green), Yanmar YM3110D
Another option for a Front End Loader (FEL) Bucket Level Indicator...

I saw multiple posts on TBN and around the internet for DIY FEL Bucket Level Indicators while looking for ideas for one to install on my Kubota B2320 w/LA304 FEL. I set off to town to get the 'parts' after I had decided on a variation of several different 'designs'. My initial design was going to be the typical steel rod, but that changed while I was shopping/configuring and I came up with an indicator that consists of very inexpensive parts and was a fairly quick & simple install. I decided to go with a fiberglass rod as it would be more forgiving than a steel rod, if bumped (and I liked that the orange rod was a close match to the Kubota Orange). Stainless steel hardware was used to ensure a clean and maintenance free installation.

- An eye bolt was used for the rod 'guide' as the LA304 FEL already had a couple of factory holes near the bucket cylinder pins on the loader arms. A 3" eye bolt was chosen to ensure that there was enough clearance between the rod and the bucket cylinder hoses.
- Rather than drill & tap the cylinder pin at the bucket, a 1/4-20 nut was tack-welded (on 3 of 6 nut 'flats') to the center of the cylinder pin to create a mounting point for the rod 'pin'.
- A 1/4-20 x 1 1/2" bolt was used as the rod pin. A nut was 'bottomed' at the end of the threads, limiting the travel of the rod end to the bolt shoulder between the bolt head and nut. A second nut was used as a lock/jam nut against the welded nut to lock the pin in place.
- A piece of 3/8 copper tubing was used for the rod end as the fiberglass rod slipped snugly inside. 3/4" of the tubing was flattened to form a 'tab' and drilled with a 1/4" hole for the rod pin. The original plan was to use a 3/8" x 3/4" long steel spacer and tack-weld a 1/4 flat washer to one end to use as the rod sleeve/end. Another variation would be to make or modify a clevis end to slide onto the rod. Both are still options if the copper rod end doesn稚 hold up.
- Rod was trimmed to 2" above the eye bolt guide with the bucket in the fully-dumped position and the protective cap reinstalled.
- Electrical tape was used to mark the 'bucket level' location on the rod at the eye bolt guide.

Parts list (prices/total before sales tax):
48" Reflective Fiberglass Marker Rod; $1.99 @ Home Depot (HD); found with other driveway markers/mailboxes
1/4-20 x 1 1/2" Stainless Steel (SS) Bolt (Rod 'Pin'; $0.42 @ HD
1/4-20 SS Nuts, 3 ea; $0.26 ea @ HD
1/4-20 Std Nut (to weld onto the bucket cylinder pin & become the mount for the level indicator rod pin); no cost (had on hand)
1/4-20 x 3" SS Eye Bolt (Rod Guide) (comes with one SS nut); $1.49 @ Tractor Supply Co. (TSC)
1/4 SS Flat Washers, pack (only needed 2 ea for the eye bolt); $0.99 @ TSC
3/8" Copper Tubing, 3" length (to fabricate rod end); no cost (had on hand)
Total cost: $5.67

I appreciate the ideas that I have gleaned from in the past and hope that this idea may benefit others.

Attachments

• BLI-1.jpg
    BLI-1.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 7,144
  • BLI-2.jpg
    BLI-2.jpg
    200 KB · Views: 3,833
  • BLI-3.jpg
    BLI-3.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 4,789
  • BLI-4.jpg
    BLI-4.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 4,715
  • BLI-5.jpg
    BLI-5.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 6,977
  • BLI-6.jpg
    BLI-6.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 7,705
  • BLI-7.jpg
    BLI-7.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 6,941
   / Simple & Inexpensive FEL Bucket Level Indicator #3  
I like it, nice and simple. I really like the use of the fiberglass rod.

/ Simple & Inexpensive FEL Bucket Level Indicator #4  
I like it, nice and simple. I really like the use of the fiberglass rod.
Good old "Buggy Whip" Fiberglass Rod. I am trying to figure how this indicates level?
I have never seen one work on a tractor.

/ Simple & Inexpensive FEL Bucket Level Indicator #5  
Good old "Buggy Whip" Fiberglass Rod. I am trying to figure how this indicates level? I have never seen one work on a tractor.
It looks exactly like the factory Kubota level on my bucket. It only works at one height and mine squeaked so I took it off. Experience is the best bucket leveler.

/ Simple & Inexpensive FEL Bucket Level Indicator #6  
Experience is the best bucket leveler.
I have to agree with that. I thought about adding a marine trim meter to my little 'Bota but the more I used it I could just tell by the look of the arms/linkage when it was level to the ground. And gauges and rods don't help a bit if you're not on level ground. ;)

/ Simple & Inexpensive FEL Bucket Level Indicator
I agree on both the experience and the level ground requirements. I just wanted to put a variation out there for the folks that live on level ground and might want a quick reference that is not costly to add. Thanks for the comments.

/ Simple & Inexpensive FEL Bucket Level Indicator #8  
This is as simple and inexpensive as it gets .
As you lower the bucket you can see it from the cab ,the bar was on a pallet of auction junk and the bloke was from factory on the loader .

Attachments

• bucket level guide.jpg
    bucket level guide.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 2,523
   / Simple & Inexpensive FEL Bucket Level Indicator #9  
My Kioti uses a similar level indicator- a rod in a tube at the FEL. Only problem is the rod sometimes pops out of the tube when I roll the bucket completely forward. Then I have to undo the rod and reattach it.
Like others have said, I use it as a general close to level indicator, then I do the rest by eyesight and experience.