Adding teeth to a bucket

/ Adding teeth to a bucket #11  
My teeth are installed with 2 bolts,, a 10 minute job,,
(most of that time is finding the right size wrench,,, :laughing:)

It seems the teeth stay on the bucket the 8 warmer months of the year,,

bucket_zpsafvjeddq.jpg

then the teeth come off for winter. :thumbsup:

If I were to design a toothbar,, after having this one,,
the teeth would be three inches wide, spaced 1" further apart than this toothbar.

I would want the wide teeth because of the wear that resulted from the first couple hours of use.
I needed to hard surface weld the teeth within 3 hours of installation.

The wider teeth would work the same, but, not wear as quickly.

/ Adding teeth to a bucket #12  
My bucket teeth are a mere 1 1/2" wide with 7 ea on my 4' bucket.
After 7 years they show only slight wear (about 1/4" radius) on the corners, and I move lots of rocks gravel etc.
My teeth are welded up with the cutters being tough, I believe T1 steel.
When attacking something big sparks fly.
Mine are a DIY project that turned out good, in fact better than anticipated.

/ Adding teeth to a bucket #13  
"If you don't have a tooth bucket, you may as well wear a dress" to quote a good friend of mine.:D

Nice job 'bumkin:thumbsup:

/ Adding teeth to a bucket #14  
"If you don't have a tooth bucket, you may as well wear a dress" to quote a good friend of mine.:D

Nice job 'bumkin:thumbsup:

I wish I had a friend as smart as that Rusty :laughing:

I agree with you on the nice job the bumpkin did too !!

gg

/ Adding teeth to a bucket #15  
I had a skid steer with a smooth bucket and a tooth bucket. I rarely used the smooth bucket. Having the tooth bucket was like having more horsepower and more traction. I also did a lot of digging in sod and roots. Having those teeth to tear apart the chunks was great (they would just roll with the smooth bucket). They work like a harrow for back blading for rough finish. I never had any problems backblading to my satisfaction. I suppose if I was leveling sand for final grade for a concrete floor, or for snow removal, the smooth bucket would be better. That said, the tooth bucket got 90% of the use.

/ Adding teeth to a bucket #16  
I have both a smooth and a tooth bucket for my skid steer also. I almost always use the tooth bucket as it digs so much better.

It is harder to do on a tractor but on a skid steer you have great bucket visibility. With a smooth bucket you can tip it down and do some really precise work back dragging the front edge of it. For example I spread some gravel right up to the edge of a metal building. With the smooth bucket I could back drag right up to within a couple inches of the building. Smooth also works better for clean up. Hard to pick up all of a pile of something with teeth.

/ Adding teeth to a bucket #17  
I agree... I don't know how folks 'survive' without teeth... whether on their bucket or in their mouth! :laughing: Coming from a proud and happy Piranha tooth bar owner.

/ Adding teeth to a bucket #18  
Is there any downside?
You loose the ability to clean off a hard surface and in some cases back dragging isn't as good, but the benefits of teeth outweigh the negatives.

/ Adding teeth to a bucket #19  
I agree... I don't know how folks 'survive' without teeth... whether on their bucket or in their mouth! :laughing: Coming from a proud and happy Piranha tooth bar owner.
I haven't had any teeth in my face since 1970 and I eat just fine, even corn on the cob. :D
My bucket has had a tooth bar ever since I got the tractor. They are showing a little wear now but will be okay for the next 2 or so years. Shouldn't that be a teeth bar as 'tooth' is singular and I have 7 teeth on the bar. English is confusing. :confused2:

/ Adding teeth to a bucket #20  
You might just say that a tooth bar has teeth,
but then would they not be false teeth and is there such a thing as a tractor denturologist?

Welded would be implants as compared to a toothbar that would be an appliance.

Next on the market will be tractor toothpaste, LOL, but then painting the bucked might qualify.