12V Fuel transfer pump. Tractor power setup

/ 12V Fuel transfer pump. Tractor power setup #1  

Dadnatron

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 5100e with FEL
Quick question about setting up power from my tractor to my (soon to arrive) 12v GPI fuel transfer pump.

My intention is to use a new 2gu set of inexpensive jumper cables as cable. I was going to cut off the clamps and attach eyelets at one end, attaching it directly to the battery posts and run the cable along the frame, back towards the door, attaching it to the frame with strong Zipties. At this end, I was going to use Anderson type connectors, with ends on both the tractor as well as on the powercord from the pump. This 'should' also allow me to use this connection as a jumper cable source with Anderson --> clamp style cables.

The question I have is... is there anything I am missing?

Amazon.com: GPI 1161-11, M-15S-MU/FM2-G6N Aluminum Fuel Transfer Pump with Meter, 15 GPM, 12-VDC, .75-Inch Manual Unleaded Nozzle, 12-Foot X .75-Inch Dispensing Hose, 18-Foot Power Cord & Suction Pipe: Industrial & Scientific

These are my jumper cables... not the ones I intend to use for the battery cable

Amazon.com: Energizer 1-Gauge 8A Permanent installation kit Jumper Battery Cables with Quick Connect plug 3 Ft Booster Jump Start ENB-13 - 3' Allows you to boost a battery from behind a vehicle!: Automotive

connectors...

Amazon.com: Battery Quick Connect/Disconnect Wire Harness Plug Connector Recovery Winch Trailer 6-1 GAUGE: Automotive

Last edited:
   / 12V Fuel transfer pump. Tractor power setup #2  
   / 12V Fuel transfer pump. Tractor power setup #3  
I have a couple of these fill-rite 12 volt pumps. They don't take anything crazy for wire size. I have used mine for years with basically a dozen feet of heavy lamp cord.

If you attach anything permanently to your battery, make sure you have a fuse inline.

/ 12V Fuel transfer pump. Tractor power setup #4  
I have a fillrite and it came with about 10-12' of about 14g hookup wire and they recommended a 30a in line fuse that I installed. When I pump 50 gallons the wire gets nice and warm to the touch but not hot. I would recommend 10-12g wire and as industrial toys recommends be sure to have an in line fuse near the battery. Personally, I'd fuse both lines for a permanent installation. I didn't check your nozzle but make sure you get an auto shutoff. They really work nice and you'll never have a spill. You can set the flow rate and do something else while it fills your tank.

/ 12V Fuel transfer pump. Tractor power setup
Thanks guys.

The connection is for more than just the pump, although it is the impetus for putting in the connection at this moment. I want to have easy access for anything else 12v I might need as well. This is just the system I was setting up, since I had to have something which would easily connect and disconnect for this pump.

Whatever size I make the fuse needs to be able to handle the load of jumping a dead battery as well as heavier loads such as a portable winch, water pump, etc. This is my concern about adding a fuse to the main line.

What do you recommend for an inline fuse in this situation?

BTW: I fixed the links.

Last edited:
   / 12V Fuel transfer pump. Tractor power setup #6  
I have Anderson plugs mounted on my truck and tractor. I installed one on the 12V fuel pump power wire (a bit overkill) so I can drive up to the tank, plug in the pump and refill the tractor. Another Anderson plug on a set of jumper cables I keep in the truck.

If you want to use jumper cables for a winch, water pump, or boosting another battery, use the cables direct to the battery or through a circuit breaker set up. A fuse will just blow and need to be replaced.

Attachments

• Breakers.jpg
    Breakers.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 302
   / 12V Fuel transfer pump. Tractor power setup
George, that is essentially what I am looking to do with the hookup.

Do you have an inline fuse for your Anderson connection on your tractor? And if so, what type? If you have a picture of the type, I'd appreciate it.

I plan on putting Anderson type connections on everything that will be filled by the diesel tank such as my Farm truck. Just for ease of use.

/ 12V Fuel transfer pump. Tractor power setup #8  
No fuse. From Anderson plug to battery on the tractor I installed 2 short length 6 gauge red and black cables. Here's a pic of my plug just above the axle.
For jump starting (if needed) I like to connect jumper cables direct to Batt + and frame ground. For connecting the tractor to the fuel pump, the pump wiring is fuse protected.

Attachments

• DSCN1366 (Medium).JPG
    DSCN1366 (Medium).JPG
    171.4 KB · Views: 422
   / 12V Fuel transfer pump. Tractor power setup #9  
When I got my 12V Filrite pump, rather than go with all the plugs and jumpers, I just bought a small 12V automotive battery to power it. I put a Battery Minder on it to keep it charged. I don't have to jerk around with cables to hook up each time I fill my tractor or RTV, the power is always on and ready.

/ 12V Fuel transfer pump. Tractor power setup #10  
Whatever size I make the fuse needs to be able to handle the load of jumping a dead battery as well as heavier loads such as a portable winch, water pump, etc.

Not gonna happen. Rethink, try another plan. If you want a jumper port, run the heavy cable to your Anderson connector someplace convenient and close, and sheath the hot lead in plastic wire loom for extra protection. No fuse.

If that location isn't good for your pump hookup, do that separately. If it is okay, put the fuse downstream of your Anderson connector. That way your pump setup is fused.