Plastic Toolox Question ????

/ Plastic Toolox Question ???? #1  

Gordon Gould

Tractor
Kubota L3010DT, Kubota M5640SUD, Dresser TD7G Dozer
I need to come up with a nice rugged tool box. I have always made them from wood. But I see there are a lot of nice weather proof plastic boxes available like this one. I stole the picture from rasorbackq's thread. Thank you. Hope you don't mind. A box like this would be better than one of my open boxes.

IMG_1676.JPG

However, my experience with plastic stuff says that it probably won't last long outside in cold Vermont winters unless it is special plastic. How about these boxes. Can they stand some abuse in very cold weather w/o breaking or cracking ???? thanks.

gg

/ Plastic Toolox Question ???? #2  
Might last for a while, but in the war of extreme cold vs plastic, cold always wins. Metal ammo cans are a cheap and durable alternative.

/ Plastic Toolox Question ???? #3  
I have had a plastic toolbox mounted on my B7500 for about 10 years. It is nothing special, just a regular plastic tool box that I mounted to the loader frame. Much to my surprise it is still surviving.

/ Plastic Toolox Question ???? #4  
My orange Homer Box from Home Depot lasted 3 years on my L3200 in Colorado. Was fine when the tractor sold with no noticeable UV degradation.

/ Plastic Toolox Question ???? #5  
One more comment I should make ....
Be sure that the toolbox has metal latches like the one in your picture. Plastic latches just don't last long no matter what the conditions are!!

/ Plastic Toolox Question ???? #7  
Last year I had business in Norway. All of the equipment up there had .50cal USA ammo cans bolted on somewhere. Some of that stuff was 50 year old. Every can was still in good shape. That pretty much summed it up for me, Won't ever buy a homer box again.

/ Plastic Toolox Question ????
Well thanks for the replies. Pretty much 50/50. Think I'll put a small plastic box with hair pins, bushings, and small tools inside my wooden box full of heavy stuff and see what happens.

gg

/ Plastic Toolox Question ???? #9  
Here is some photos of a "amo" box I added to carry choke chains in our UTV. Gosh, I do like these heavy duty, plastic boxes for jobs like this. Not sure if this is the size you need.

Attachments

• defenderchainbox.jpg
    defenderchainbox.jpg
    203.7 KB · Views: 228
  • defenderchainbox1.jpg
    defenderchainbox1.jpg
    215.9 KB · Views: 186
  • defenderchainbox2.jpg
    defenderchainbox2.jpg
    187.4 KB · Views: 174
   / Plastic Toolox Question ???? #10  
I use a large plastic Ammo box on my tractor. works very well, and weather tight!