Kubota RTV Heavy Modifications...Yes, you CAN safely lift!

/ Kubota RTV Heavy Modifications...Yes, you CAN safely lift!
Re-formatted into paragraphs

Thanks for the useful information, I might have to look into that for our RTV500. We don't plan on lifting it, but a little more traction might be useful.
Out of curiosity, are the CV joints the same to where you could order inner CVs for an X and mate them to outers for an older RTV?

Aaron Z

Unfortunately, they are not. While both ARE the tripod style CV...View attachment 507237
the X model uses a considerably larger version of it, while the outer IS the same, save for a 1 inch increase in casting where it enters the hub/drum/knuckle. So, essentially you can gut the outboard on either and the interchange the goodies, inboard they are unique for their particular differential.. But note, the outboard splined end WILL NOT work on the 900, or 1100 shaft unless you compensate for that in your overall cut length, or your shaft will become an inch too long, and even a quarter inch means a bunch when the suspension travels. The safest bet?...measure your stock axle's compressed length and your new finished axle needs to be exactly that. For an RTV 900 OR 1100, that length, off the top of my head, should be exactly 23"

And yep...my palms were cramped at the end of the original post but, I have a couple daughters that make me do it all day, so kinda used to the cramps. I have fat hands and bad eyes, so it's especially hard on me. So was the second grade, but I got over THAT, too! While I am originally from Kentucky, which finds me predisposed to hardship and adverse crap, we also find ourselves evolving via adaptation! May not always be graceful looking, but by God we sure get it done! I always tell everyone, "I may not be the fastest car on the interstate, and occasionally life's hills will find me with the 4-ways going, but Lord I sure am dependable".

The old 900 up there was where it all started; Was my second one and it kept overheating. Added a turbo to it, and that did little but make it worse. When I embraced the fact that there just wasn't enough room in the front-end cheat a rad up there, I plumbed copper up the cage, welded-in a couple pieces of angle, drilled for the isolaters and then what?...in the Winter, every time we went riding, everyone kept placing their hands on my pipes...NOT COOL! Teehee! Nah, seriously, they were always on quads, and after a couple hours, they had frozen fingers.

And so (Did you see what I just did?...uh-huh) didn't take long before we found another benefit...I bypassed the fan with a switch and reversed the polarity with an isolater (So it wouldn't crash with the vehicle's electrical system) and you could then flip the switch, the fan ran in reverse, blowing nice toasty air all up on the back of your frosty pumpkins. I told everyone my RTV900 had a Kentucky heater in it! The wife started wanting to ride in the WINTER! That was both good AND bad, right. Well, you know. Whatever.

Hmm..on a roll here. Anyway, about a year into that one I bought an 1100's motor, transmission and cradle...modified the crossmember and moved it forward in the frame, and THAT machine spent most of it's life an 1100, before Kubota ever had the idea. The truth is, the only time I really noticed any difference was on steep inclines, and then only marginally. But, for all my time and effort, I could say I had an 1100 "Sport". That was a joke.
View attachment 507243
Featured here is the wife, grasping my pipe. That happens sometimes when you're married, but not often. Anyone notice the exhaust on this 900?

Last edited:
Also, in this photo, View attachment 507254 you will notice my X-series has the the tip-out windshield; Obviously did not come with this feature of the older 1100. However, all the hardware mounting points are there. Have not checked the 17 model but likely if you look at the top of your windshield from outside, you will notice two conspicuous looking metal straps at the top holding it in...those are actually a hinge. Also on the pillars on the inside of the cab you may notice two odd looking brackets with nothing attached to them, about a quarter way up the windshield...those are for the struts for the tip-out windshield. Down on the dash by the defrost vents and glass, you should notice two small rectangular brackets that appear to be there for no good reason...those are for the windshield latches. Early x models had the drilled windshield for the struts, with simple gasketed block-off plates to seal them. Later ones they did away with the pre-drilled windshield. Where this going is that, you can buy the hardware a convert yours to the tip-out windshield.

Why Kubota did away with that premium feature is anyone's guess..I have a couple theories reserved. It's awful nice in-between weather to open that shield and side-windows and let the fresh air in. I'm fortunate enough to have a couple of those kits laying in the barn. Takes about 30 minutes to convert to the tip-out, if you have the goods. Even my dealer when they saw my X with the shield open was like, WTF?...they were still green enough to the X1100C to not know all the brackets and hinges were still there...only the minor hardware was gone.

I have the same bike.

Which one..the 2012 Screaming Eagle Softail Convertible, the Heritage, or the 2013 RoadKing Screaming Eagle? I still have the RK and Heritage. Gave the Convertible to my oldest son. He crashed it in Sturgis doing a burnout..nearly took-out an entire line of bikes heading for SpearFish. Now he walks. 32 grand trashed in an instant.

/ Kubota RTV Heavy Modifications...Yes, you CAN safely lift! #17  
Which one..the 2012 Screaming Eagle Softail Convertible, the Heritage, or the 2013 RoadKing Screaming Eagle? I still have the RK and Heritage. Gave the Convertible to my oldest son. He crashed it in Sturgis doing a burnout..nearly took-out an entire line of bikes heading for SpearFish. Now he walks. 32 grand trashed in an instant.

The 13 CVO RK ... I have the same one, same color combo, I put a fairing on mine.

Sweet! I love that bike. It's all I ride to sturgis now. I bought the hitch and had the trailer painted to match...they screwed it up, but close enough. Harley wanted retarded money for the sunset whatever they call it, so I had a local shop try their hand painting the trailer. They got it close enough to make folks cringe, but whatever.
Only problem I ever had was out of the ipod dock in the bag..it AND the digital amp crapped out on me, so I went with a dragonfly system. Of course its a typical Screaming Eagle...gets hot at the lights, but otherwise that 110 SE loves the road. Upgraded to a Baker transmission, but otherwise it's bone-stock. Bought the V&H tru-duels and DynoJet, but still have not installed them. They sent me the wrong exhaust bungs and the wideband O2 sensors didn't fit. Once they corrected it I lost motivation and got onto other things. May do it this year. Only has a few thousand miles on it, as I put the commutes on the Heritage...I only have about 20 grand in the Heritage, so doesn't bother me as much to ride it regular, even if I DO look like a circus act!

The wifeView attachment 507283View attachment 507284View attachment 507285View attachment 507286 says, "Think you have enough leather and studs on that thing?". I was like, "Be cool, the dog does too, and he likes me better!"

/ Kubota RTV Heavy Modifications...Yes, you CAN safely lift! #19  
Sweet! I love that bike. It's all I ride to sturgis now. I bought the hitch and had the trailer painted to match...they screwed it up, but close enough. Harley wanted retarded money for the sunset whatever they call it, so I had a local shop try their hand painting the trailer. They got it close enough to make folks cringe, but whatever.
Only problem I ever had was out of the ipod dock in the bag..it AND the digital amp crapped out on me, so I went with a dragonfly system. Of course its a typical Screaming Eagle...gets hot at the lights, but otherwise that 110 SE loves the road. Upgraded to a Baker transmission, but otherwise it's bone-stock. Bought the V&H tru-duels and DynoJet, but still have not installed them. They sent me the wrong exhaust bungs and the wideband O2 sensors didn't fit. Once they corrected it I lost motivation and got onto other things. May do it this year. Only has a few thousand miles on it, as I put the commutes on the Heritage...I only have about 20 grand in the Heritage, so doesn't bother me as much to ride it regular, even if I DO look like a circus act!

The wifeView attachment 507283View attachment 507284View attachment 507285View attachment 507286 says, "Think you have enough leather and studs on that thing?". I was like, "Be cool, the dog does too, and he likes me better!"

I have about 15k on mine, VH true duals with Reinhardts and a power commander with some head work and cams. Dyno at 108/122. It runs really well. Keep a eye on the sidewall of your front tire. They have a reputation of dry rotting and cracking right along the edge near the rim. Mine lasted 2 years and had to be replaced. Had to look very close to see the cracks but they were there. Other than that it's been a great scoot

/ Kubota RTV Heavy Modifications...Yes, you CAN safely lift! #20  
This was before the 14" Yaffee mini apes went on

Attachments

• IMG_2597.JPG
    IMG_2597.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 318